Thursday 3 October 2024

THE PHANTOM TOLLBOOTH (a review) by Sharon Tregenza

 



THE PHANTOM TOLLBOOTH by Norton Juster

(a review) 








Recently my son bought me a first edition copy of my favourite, ever, book. 

It was an opportunity to reread this absolute classic. It was written by Norton Juster and first published in 1961. I read it first as a teenager and was delighted by all the clever wordplay and puns - its unique use of language and imagery. It was so unusual, I absolutely loved it. Illustrations by Jules Feiffer enhance the quirkiness of this book. 

Milo is bored. But when he drives through the tollbooth he encounters a wonderful world of whimsical characters - who can forget the watch dog with his ticking clock body and the absent-minded Humbug. The Phantom Tollbooth is crammed full of inventive names and concepts. 





Its constructed as a quest and encourages the reader to explore the landscapes of imagination and learning. Its definitely not just for kids and I learn something new every time I read it.

Its playful. Its clever. And after what is probably my fifth or sixth reading - its still my favourite book, ever.








No comments: