Friday 26 January 2024

Creative Writing - Sue Purkiss


 As you may know from previous posts of mine, I teach creative writing, and have been doing for twelve years plus. I don't teach in a university, but in the community; our group meets weekly, and we've published several collections of our work, mostly via KDP.

I really got started with my own writing - many years ago - on first of all an Arvon course, and then on a part-time course with the continuing education department of Bristol University.And the trigger that really worked for me was just being given a prompt, then being told to get on with it, for twenty minutes, or for the next session, whatever it might be. Having havered about for years trying to get going by myself, I was astonished at how easily the words now began to flow.

I've used pretty much the same method in the class I teach. I set a task, and they - we - write. Sometimes I will address a specific issue, but basically, that's the process, and it seems to work.

So I was interested to see this article by Tim Pears, published on The Royal Literary Fund Collected website, in which he explores the practice of teaching creative writing. See what you think - it's here.

By the way - during Covid, the class moved online, and I set up a blog to post each weekly task. I've recently taken to doing this again - it is predominantly aimed at my class, but the tasks are listed quite clearly, I think. Feel free to browse and use! Let's Write is here.

1 comment:

Penny Dolan said...

Really enjoyed hearing about your community group, Sue, and about the 'writing together' prompt and time. The class sounds very kind and supportive for all those involved and as if it matters very much to them. And to you, as I can hear by this piece. Thanks.

I recall my inherited writing classes being very keen to be given 'homework'.