Thursday 20 April 2023

From Marjorie Flack to Interpretive Dance - Joan Lennon

 


Published in 1930, Marjorie Flack's Angus and Ducks wasn't exactly new when my parents were reading it to me in the 1950s. Or when I was reading it to my children, 30 years later. Or now, when my son is reading it to his son. I'm never quite sure what people mean when they say something is a classic, but maybe that kind of staying power is what it's about.

"And Angus said ... WOOF!" was my kids' favourite part but for Arran, my grandson, it's the ducks going "one-foot-up and one-foot-down. Quack! Quack! Quackety! Quack!" He's not really talking yet but he has a particular dance (not surprisingly involving putting one foot up and one foot down - this can be done standing or sitting) which he does for that page - and also for any reference to a duck in any other book you care to mention.

There are two other stories about Angus. Thank you, Marjorie, for all three.





What are your favourite children's books that have been handed down the generations to be read or danced to? 


 

Joan Lennon's website.

Joan Lennon's Instagram.

3 comments:

Adelaide Dupont said...

Joan:

That duck dance is so cool.

WIND IN THE WILLOWS was passed on.

And there was a book about fairies.

A BOOK FOR KIDS by C J Dennis.

HOLIDAYS AT HILLYDALE.

Susan Price said...

My father was given The Jungle Books and the Just-So Stories as a child, so when I was seven, he bought them for me. It's only just struck me that, at the time, that must have been quite a bite out of my parents' income: three illustrated hard-back books.
I loved them as much as he had. Still have them. Still read them.

Joan Lennon said...

Thanks Adelaide and Susan!