Wednesday 14 December 2022

Christmas Song Quiz by Lynne Benton

 

You may, or may not, remember that last December I gave you a Christmas quiz – last year it was all about Christmas carols, so this year I decided to do the same again, only this time with well-known Christmas songs.  Once again I’ve given you the initial letter of each word as well as one whole word in each song.  

For anyone who didn't try my last one, this is how it works:  In each case I have taken a line from a well-known Christmas song and given you the initial letters of each word, together with one complete word for each song.  All you have to do is work out a) the line, and b) the song from which it comes.  Simple, eh?  Not quite – no matter how familiar you are with the song, you often end up having to sing the tune in order to remember the exact words. 

FOR EXAMPLE: "Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer had a very shiny nose" would look something like this: r t r-n r h a v shiny n

(For the record, I haven't used "Rudolph" in this list!)

This list contains old ones and new ones, though not necessarily the first lines (though the lines I have used should be familiar.)  And I haven’t used capitals for I, for Christmas, or for names – that would make it far too easy!

See how you get on!


1.   ,    i d o a w c, j l t ones i u t k

2      m m w c true, a i w f c i y

3     i s m k s c underneath t m l n

4     d t t s i a o-h open s

5     s here i i m c, e h f

6      h y a m l c, l y heart b l

7      c r o a open f, j f n a y n

8       r a t c t, h a happy h

9       i b t l a lot l c, e y g

10     o i w i c b c e d, l t bells r o f c

Have fun working these out, and have a great Christmas!

Answers in my January blog.


website: lynnebenton.com

latest book: Billy and the Queen



6 comments:

Abbeybufo said...

Yay! I love these! This will go all round the family and we'll enjoy doing it ... only 10 though? I might have to add some more or some people will be done too quickly!

Lynne Benton said...

Sorry, Abbeybufo, I'll try to make it more next time! Glad you enjoy them!

Abbeybufo said...

Don't worry - I offer these in case anyone else wanted more - and will post answers under yours in January!
Extras:
11 a i w f c i m t front t
12 o t w o i f b t fire i so d
13 c t m a w, c singing c r
14 a i want f c i a b
15 d t know i c t a a
16 i r c s, b i cold o
17 l c i g you m h
18 j b j b j b r j b chime i j b t
19 h m a l, h c i t, h gonna f o w n o n
20 s b, s h d t c tonight

(Some of them do rather give my age away!)

Lynne Benton said...

Thanks so much for these extra ones - I'll try them out on my family too!

Penny Dolan said...

Such a cunning post, Lynne. Easy when you can "see" the lines & songs, less so when you can't!
Thanks for putting your quiz together.

Wondering if someone in the house "who doesn't do lyrics" but does do music will be able to work them out?

Sue Purkiss said...

Time to search for my thinking cap...