Sunday 2 January 2022

Dear Aunt Agatha by Steve Way

 

Happy New Year everyone! Here’s to 2022 being good for me and you!

I hope today’s blog will cheer you up – and perhaps challenge you! – as we deal with another Covid Christmas and beginning wading through January and February.

When I do writing workshops with children in schools, I sometimes use these ideas with Y4 to Y6 (9- to 11-year-olds.) I briefly explain about problem page articles in some magazines and papers and the role of agony aunts and uncles, mentioning of course that in using them people share their real concerns. I then mention that I’ve imagined an agony aunt called Aunt Agatha to whom very daft people write very daft letters and read some of the examples below. The initial task the children then have to perform is to write a few letters of their own. The goal is for every child to write at least one letter, though as you can imagine some children write several. The letters I give as examples are deliberately short as one intention is to encourage reluctant writers.

After the children have all written at least one letter I would then ask some, or ideally all, of the children to share one or two of their letters with the class. Then comes the second task – and this is where you could come in too! I ask the children to swap their letters with a partner (or if they prefer working in a group to pass them around in a circle) and after reading some examples get them now to take on the role of Aunt Agatha and answer the letters. The idea is for Aunt Agatha to suggest a solution to the problems she’s received. The solutions have to be as creative as the problems and in most cases dafter. I therefore challenge you to write a solution or two to some of the problems below! Though of course if you want to challenge the rest of us with some letters to Aunt Agatha as well that’s fine! Good luck!

The children tend to love the daft names the letters come from by the way. If they have a challenge thinking of a silly name themselves I encourage them to use the first name of one of their friends, which usually results in a giggle or two, and then think of anything they would find in their kitchen.

 

Dear Aunt Agatha,

I keep imagining I’m a forest. I’m terrified of lumberjacks coming to chop bits of me down and float me down Canadian rivers. I know it’s crazy, especially because I live in a flat in the middle of Watford. What can I do?
        Yours sincerely,

                Tim Applecrumble

 

Dear Aunt Agatha,

Every eighth word I xmflspil is complete nonsense! As you can see wmcdez from this letter. Can you suggest a jtabumif to my problem? It’s so embarrassing, I pwzhmel to only talk in sentences seven words taznejeb.

Yours sincerely,

  Parminder Gardenhose

 

Dear Aunt Agatha,

        HELP!

        Yours,

                Amanda Brief

 

Dear Aunt Agatha,

Please help me. I keep emptying bowls of custard all over policemen. I don’t know why. Since it’s such a stupid thing to do there isn’t actually a law against it. So instead of putting me in prison, the police keep making me clean their dirty helmets and uniforms. So I also need to know how to get custard stains out of hats.

        Yours sincerely,

                  Paul Cottagepie

 

Dear Aunt Agatha,

I want to coat the whole world in chocolate. I’ve tried starting with my garden and house. As you can imagine I’ve had several problems. When it gets hot the chocolate melts away. When it rains it washes away. Also I’ve spent every penny I earn on chocolate. Some of my friends have told me I’m mad to do this. Am I crazy or are they?

        Yours sincerely,

                Adil Tomatopaste

 

Dear Aunt Agatha,

Please help me. I want to eat key-rings all day long! I’m now so full of metal rings I rattle when I roll over in bed. Also my stomach now picks up Radio 2. This keeps me up all night and on top of that it’s terrible!

        Yours sincerely,

                Hans Kitchendrawer

 

Dear Aunt Agatha,

Please help me! I’m sure my garden is full of alien cabbages. How do you tell the difference between an alien cabbage and a real one? I’m sure that if I eat an alien cabbage I’ll turn into a spoon.

        Yours sincerely,

                Tracey Vanillayogurt

 

Dear Aunt Agatha,

An incredible and frightening thing has just happened to me! Without any warning at all, my right ear crawled into my head, across my head and joined up to my left ear. Then my ears flew off as though they were a butterfly!

Has this ever happened to one of your many readers before? What can I do to get my ears back?

        Yours sincerely,

                 Callum Longbow

 

 

 

 

Dear Aunt Agatha,

I think my fridge has fallen in love with me. Whenever other people go near it or open it, it just behaves, well operates, normally. But when I go anywhere near it all the lights inside and outside it start flashing madly.

If I should open the door to look and see what’s inside, somehow – even though I’m holding the door firmly - the door manages to close around my neck and the rubber seal takes on the form of several lips and kisses me. Meanwhile all the shelves rattle and the lid of the butter container opens and shuts frantically.

When I finally manage to prise myself away from my frenzied refrigerator, it switches off and doesn’t come on again for fifteen minutes.

This experience is so exasperating, exhausting and embarrassing, I now have to ask the rest of the family to get things out of the fridge for me.

Have you got any suggestions about how we can deal with this warm-hearted fridge?

        Yours sincerely,

                                Andrew Coathanger

 

Dear Aunt Agatha,

Please help me. I am an alien from the planet Sponge Ball IIa. I wish to make contact with the human race and my research has shown that you seem to be a spokesperson for most of humanity. So would you mind publishing my letter to you in your excellent periodical, which I believe is entitled “Hi Fab Tit-bits of Inane Gossip”. Your readers will then be able to know about my imminent arrival as the elected ambassador to Earth of my planet. Please let your readers know that they therefore need not be alarmed when a spaceship the shape of a gigantic handbag lands in the Atlantic Ocean. (Gigantic in this sense meaning larger than India.)

My race has evolved independently of the need of appliances. So one of my limbs looks like a frying pan, another a mobile phone, another a lap-top computer and another a toilet brush. I have a further thirty-eight limbs but I’ll let them be a surprise! I look forward to meeting as many of you as possible before long!

        Get ready for a big splash!

        Yours sincerely,

                Tarquin V.X.II/c/a Smith

 

 

No comments: