Thursday 22 July 2021

A Match for a Mermaid, written by Eleanor Cullen and illustrated by David Roberts, reviewed by Pippa Goodhart


I'm sure that many of you will be aware of the 'Stories To Make A Difference' project being run by POP UP Projects who do so much to bring books and authors and illustrators to children. This latest project can be read about here - 

https://pop-up.org.uk/our-work/talent/ten-stories-to-make-a-difference/

But I just want to show off something of the wonderful artwork by David Roberts in the book I opted to get when I contributed to their crowdfunding. It strikes me as a collector's item in the making! Beautiful, profound, fun, and SO stylish.

The rhyming text by Eleanor Cullen tells of a mermaid, now eighteen, needing to choose her king. So the mermen suitors come in all shapes and sizes and characters, but none are suitable ... because, she realises, she's actually already in love with the right person for her, and that person happens to be another mermaid. She and her new wife will rule as two queens.

I'm not going to say more, but just let you enjoy these images -















- and tell you that I will be looking out for the other nine Stories To Make A Difference. 





No comments: