Sunday 12 April 2020

Go to books by Vanessa Harbour


If you celebrate Happy Easter, if not, I’d say enjoy the day but it seems a little inappropriate considering the current circumstances. We should all be at home unless we are keyworkers. If you are a keyworker, I’d like to say thank you for all you are doing.

This is going to be a short post this month as it is a holiday weekend. I thought I would take the opportunity to talk about books that you go to when you feel the need to be cheered up, your comfort blanket books. Or am I the only one who has those? As a family we have them, we also have our go-to films and tv programmes. They used to be Shrek, Friends and Ally McBeal, particularly for my daughter. Recently she had surgery and I found her watching Friends again as she was too ill to read.

I have some go-to books for when I am feeling overwhelmed and I need to escape I will often reread one of the following.


Ballet Shoes by Noel Streatfeild. I have loved this book since I was a child. My mother introduced me to it. It was a book I’d often read when things were difficult at school.



Silver Brumby by Elyne Mitchell. I was introduced to this book by my sister Jacky. It is such an evocative story and of course, it is about horses.

Then there is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and The BFG by Roald Dahl, I know these might be contentious, but they are still stories I love.


Elizabeth Goudge’s The Little White Horse, again another very evocative story. I love her descriptions of food.



Markus Zusak’s The Book Thief, such a powerful book based in World War 2. Something I can easily get lost in.




Finally, is the first Harry Potter story, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J K Rowling, I read this with my children. I also studied it at university. It has fond memories, so for me, it is like being wrapped in a big hug.



I have only really looked at the MG and YA books that I use. I do have some adult books that I reach for occasionally but I must be honest most of the time I reach for one of the above if I am feeling anxious or I need to escape from the real world for a bit. Judge me if you want, but they are in the main beautifully written.

What are your go-to books if you have them when you need to escape?

Dr Vanessa Harbour
@VanessaHarbour

5 comments:

Nick Garlick said...

I don't have any particular books I go to, but I do have comfort 'types' of books. Out go the literature (with a capital L) and the history and in come the detective stories. Current favourites: Peter Robinson's Inspector Banks series and the Preston and Child adventures of Aloysius Pendergast. The former can be surprisingly gritty in their dealing with current issues, but the latter are pure supernatural fantasy - and wonderful.

Ness Harbour said...

I must check those out. They sound great. Thank you

Susan Price said...

Terry Pratchett. I have a shelf full of his books and I always seem to choose one of them when I'm tired or down. With them, you can travel throughout Discworld. You can join the struggles of heroic Captain Vimes in grimy Ankh-Morpork, or you go and visit Granny Weatherwax in the fresh mountain country of Lancre. You can hobnob with werewolves, vampires and Igors from Uberwald or join Rincewind on the Counter-weight continent. Plus, they're funny, shrewd, wise and compassionate.

Ness Harbour said...

Good choice! My son loves him and his books are his go-to books.

Anne Booth said...

Noel Streatfeild for me too, especially 'Ballet Shoes,' 'White Boots' and 'The Growing Summer'. 'Carbonel' by Barbara Sleigh, and the two sequels - I LOVE that book so much and wish I had a twiggy broom and a talking cat! I also love P.G. Wodehouse, particularly The Blandings Castle books, and kind escapist fiction by authors like Katie Fforde or Jo Thomas or Maeve Binchy for comfort reading. 'Just William' or 'Jennings' can be a great help too!