Thursday 8 November 2012

Picture Book Ideas Month - Lynne Garner

During October I was sent a link by a couple of writing friends for Picture Book Ideas Month and asked if I would be taking part. The concept is to come up with 30 ideas for picture books over a 30 day period. Thankfully those who take part don't have to complete 30 manuscripts in 30 days or even come up with a potential best-seller. Simply come up with an idea that can be used in a picture book. Perhaps a title, a character, an idea based on something you overheard or a fact. The idea was devised by children's author Tara Lazar and is meant to 'exercise' that writing muscle and create a pot of ideas you can plunder when you need to.       


I must admit having to coming up with 30 new ideas over a 30 day period scared me and excited me. I debated with myself for a week or so then finally took the plunge. As I type this I'm seven days in and have surprised myself by coming up with seven ideas. So far I have ideas that involve something to do with:

  • A young hare (inspired by a book written by Dennis Hamley called 'Hares Choice' - well worth a read)
  • Pirates and going on holiday (inspired by my nephew)  
  • An abandoned puppy finding an unusual home (inspired by a link a friend sent to me via Facebook)

I'm hopeful by the end of the exercise I'll have 30 ideas scribbled down. I realise some will never become a manuscript and those that do may never be published. However I'm enjoying the process and if I get just one published title based on one of the ideas generated I'll be a very happy author.

Lynne Garner
I'm also part of the blogging team on The Picture Book Den and Do Authors Dream of Electric Books?

2 comments:

Joan Lennon said...

This is a great idea - er, enterprise!

Lynda Waterhouse said...

A one a day idea - vitamins for writers imaginations