Monday 29 July 2024

Inspiration

Tom Petty spoke about a song that didn’t have an easy birth in Runnin’ Down a Dream, the 2007 documentary about his band The Heartbreakers. I can’t remember the name of the song but I’ve never forgotten the story.

He said he once had a few chords he liked, but that he could never make them progress. All his attempts went nowhere. Inspiration was lacking. But he didn’t give up on it. He said that while he was on tour, he’d sit in his hotel room at night and play those same chords over and over, and over again. 

He kept at it until one day – and I don’t think he ever said how long the process took – something clicked and the song took shape. It just seemed to flow right out of the guitar with a will of its own.

There’s all kinds of advice about writing out there, but this is one of the few tips I’ve ever taken to heart. Because when I’m stuck, I will sometimes sit and play those same chords over and over again – or in my case, cover pages of scrap paper with random notes and possible outlines – until a decent storyline/development emerges.

It doesn’t always work; there’s one story with a plot I’ve been stuck on for years now. But more often than not, just writing down chapter headings, possible plots, key words and phrases over and over, and over again… eventually leads to a solution.

Still wish I could remember the name of that song, though.


 

2 comments:

Rowena House said...

Useful techniques. I like the idea of lots of free-style jottings. George Saunders is interesting on this type of unblocking. Worry at it if you want or not, somehow the subconscious will work it out - eventually. Nice to know lots of us are in the same boat.

Penny Dolan said...

A re-assuring post when you find yourself sitting and staring at the same old same old lines yet another time! Hope it works . . .