Thursday 27 June 2024

On Not Writing by Claire Fayers

 If you're going to fall over, try not to land on concrete, that's my advice for the month.

I've probably just taken my longest time off work after tripping and landing on my elbow. Nothing broken, thankfully, but I'm only just getting back to typing two-handed. 

It's actually been nice to slow down for a few weeks and not feel guilty about it. I've taken time out to read, to go for walks, to sit in the garden and daydream. I'm behind on publicity for my new book, and fifteen thousand words behind where I'd like to be in my work in progress. I'd usually be a ball of self-blaming anxiety by now, but I'm feeling pretty calm about it. And my to-read pile is down to a reasonable height.



Maybe I should fall over more often. 



Welsh Giants, Ghosts and Goblins by Claire Fayers is out on August 1st. 

www.clairefayers.com


2 comments:

Nick Garlick said...

Sometimes it's nice just to be able to stop. Sympathy for the reason though. Hope it wasn't *too* painful.

Penny Dolan said...

Glad you got some good out of your fall, and hope you're fully better before too long.
Keep doing the arm exercises!