Monday 20 May 2024

Rummaging through Long-lost WIPs - Joan Lennon


(Watty62 wiki commons)

As one project comes to an end, it's time to start gently simmering thoughts of the next one. And as a fan of recycling, I've done a little browsing in my files (and yes, that goes back a long way) of ideas I was excited about once upon a time. Hoping that in amongst all the unfinished bits and bobs there might be something I could really get my teeth into. Why not? I loved them once. Why not again? (And think of how much of the work would already be done!)

And in the way of these things, in an idle moment, I came across David Van de Kamp (a Serbian knitter/designer I follow on Instagram) musing in the same vein. He re-discovers an old knitting project - lifts it from its box - has a moment of loving reconnection - sees the lose threads - wonders what it was meant to be in the first place - gently returns it to its box and closes the lid ...

So far that's been me, too. I've rediscovered ideas without legs, or with just a leg and a half, or with too many legs. The idea soup has been well and truly stirred, but the bits that bob then just keep sinking into the depths again.

The lure of something brand new is getting stronger by the minute, though I don't look nearly as good without a towel as Archimedes. Yes, I think that's the way forward. I'm off to have a bath.

Pietro Scalvini (1737) (wiki commons)


Joan Lennon website.

Joan Lennon Instagram.


3 comments:

Penny Dolan said...

Hope the bath worked, but that any reaction was a little more discreet.
Should I be checking The Scotsman headlines?

Good luck with the search for legs.

Joan Lennon said...

Thanks, Penny!

Anne Booth said...

That's a lovely part of the process actually, and makes me want to go back and look at things. I have a whole MG novel I want to re-visit, but I think it may need a comptely new re-write! Good luck for this exciting stage of new beginnings and going back to look at old friends!