Tuesday 20 February 2024

Taking Home a Message/Stick - Joan Lennon

A blog post needs images - that's blogging 101 - but I don't have a picture of what I want to blog about. What happened was, I saw but I didn't feel I could take a photo without asking permission and the subject had its mouth full and couldn't reply. So I'll have give you the elements and leave it to your imaginations to put them together.

First, you'll need to imagine a very small dachshund, like this:


Giacomo Balla Dynamism of a Dog on a Leash (1912)

(wikicommons)

Then you'll need to imagine a stick. No, bigger than that. Bigger. Still bigger. We're talking a branch here, a good 2 metres long and not straight.

Put the two images together and that is what I saw. Somehow this minute animal had found the balance point of this ridiculously outsized cumbersome piece of tree and was walking it down the pavement, purposeful, proud, head held high (well, he had to, physically, but it was also psychological).

The take home message for writer me was Be That Dog. Don't be afraid of looking silly. Don't say, I'm not sure I'm up to this. Just grab that book/story/blog in my teeth, grapple with it till I find the balance point, and then be on my way.

Look out world - here I come! 


Joan Lennon website

Joan Lennon Instagram

4 comments:

Penny Dolan said...

Brilliant image, Joan!

Just keep going and the problems will leap out of your way as well.

Sue Purkiss said...

Nessie does that!

It's a salutary lesson.

Joan Lennon said...

Canine wisdom. Thanks, Penny and Sue

Rowena House said...

Brilliant image! One for life as well as writing.