Sunday 20 August 2023

Weather by Joan Lennon

I've only just realised how much the different worlds in the novel I'm working on currently are defined by their weather - there's a fog world and a world called Sog (rains a lot) and an ice world. I didn't plan that, but it's proving to be a handy base to build characteristics and cultures onto. And I think I noticed what I was doing because of being on Fair Isle, where the weather is changing ALL THE TIME. Dozens of worlds in a day. It's blowing a gale at the moment, so it's coffee and then out to get buffeted by the wind and mesmerized by the waves.

(Some time later ...)

I have an uncanny ability to NOT catch the most spectacular waves on phone. Never mind. Here are some agitated seas, some mists and fogs, some calm, sunny days. You'll just have to imagine the rest.








Joan Lennon website

Joan Lennon Instagram

Fair Isle Studio 

2 comments:

Anne Booth said...

Gorgeous photos - and I love weather in books!

Penny Dolan said...

Beautiful seas and such an interesting way of thinking about character.