Monday 12 June 2023

The Lizzie and Belle Mysteries: Drama and Danger by JT Williams, illustrated by Simone Douglas, review by Lynda Waterhouse


 

Ever since I was a child I have loved a good series. From Malory Towers to The Song of the Lioness I’d relish the opportunity to get to know all the characters safe in the knowledge that whilst I was reading we’d share danger and countless adventures together. Time invested in a series also brings with it the delight of waiting for the next instalment and the joy of collecting the whole series. My eyes lit up at the sight of ‘The Lizzie and Belle Mysteries.’

My interest was first piqued by Simone Douglas’ vibrant and exciting cover illustration with the two figures dashing towards me through the streets of London. The map of Georgian London inside intrigued me.  I snapped up a signed copy.

The two main protagonists in this series are Lizzie (Elizabeth) Sancho and Dido Belle who were real people who lived in London in the eighteenth century.  JT Williams says, ‘The stories of Black people in Britain intrigue me. Though we have been here for centuries, many of our stories have been hidden for a long time. I love trying to find something that you know has been hidden from you, that you have to work really hard to uncover – this is true of the work of the writer, of the historian, and of the detective!’

Lizzie lives with her family in her father Ignatius Sancho’s tea shop off the Strand whilst Dido lives a luxurious but lonely life in Kenwood House on Hampstead Heath. Their paths collided at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane at the opening night of a production of Othello starring Ignatius. The first time a Black man has played the role. The performance is halted by a crashing chandelier which just misses Ignatius. Who was the shadowy figure seen on the balcony?

Belle and Lizzie team up to try to discover the perpetrator and stumble upon other mysteries too. Why are Black children disappearing? Who is the mysterious Meg? Who are the Sons and Daughters of Africa? Lizzie and Belle are plunged into a murky underworld. There were times when I feared for their safety and others when I marvelled at their audacity and improvisational (and running!) skills.

The book is strong on family with all its complications and jealousies. Just as Othello is poisoned by such feelings, Lizzie too is briefly affected. Understanding this themes in Shakespeare’s play also helps to unlock the mystery.

The novel is pitched perfectly for a middle grade audience with its balance of period detail, modern dialogue, and fresh historical insights. The novel is interspersed with newspaper articles, extracts from their detecting notes, letters, and Simone Douglas’ illustrations. I loved the instructions for writing a letter in the eighteenth century.

Devising and running creative writing sessions for The Wallace has increased my fascination with the Georgian period and one of my favourite paintings is the portrait of Mary Robinson by Thomas Gainsborough. https://wallacelive.wallacecollection.org/eMP/eMuseumPlus?service=ExternalInterface&module=collection&objectId=64932&viewType=detailView

It was great to see her reimagined and playing a part in Drama and Danger. (I’m hoping they will stock the book at The Wallace!)

ISBN 978-0-0084-8525-2

Farshore.co.uk

No comments: