Wednesday 17 May 2023

Holy Guacamole - it's a book! The unexpected bonuses of being a picture book author by Tracy Darnton


 


Today I’m sharing the unexpected bonuses of being a picture book author…

My first picture book – My Brother is an Avocado – is out this month with Simon & Schuster. I’m very lucky that it’s been illustrated by the amazing Yasmeen Ismail.

My Brother is an Avocado is a fresh twist on the stages of pregnancy from ‘poppy seed’ to huge ‘watermelon’ being taken literally by a sibling as they deal with the excitement and anxieties of a new baby on the way. Would they wonder how they’re going to play with a lemon? And that all-important question – can you cuddle an avocado?

Firstly, it's been a joy to receive the co-editions. I can now travel through South America able to order a wide range of fruit and vegetables in Spanish and Portuguese.




The excitement of little readers:



I have a complete set of cuddly, crocheted fruit and veg from the book (courtesy of my big sister):




Cutting and sticking. Turns out making avocadoes with little faces, woolly wigs and stripey legs is fun.




I get to eat lots of these:


I have a snazzy new signing pen:



What else? At last, World Book Day is sorted:



One way or another.

 


Will I write another one – definitely, it’s already on its way…

 

Tracy Darnton is usually the author of YA thrillers Ready or Not, The Rules and The Truth About Lies but this month she’s wondering whether to dress as a giant avocado. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @TracyDarnton














No comments: