Tuesday 21 February 2023

Sorry I am late! Please can I ask for advice? by Anne Booth

 I had some lovely pancakes tonight, and I was just thinking about writing, and about how I would like to ask people for some writing advice, and how I might ask it in my next blog post for An Awfully Big Blog Adventure, and I suddenly realised it is the 21st and I should have posted !


So, I am very sorry, and, quickly, please can I ask an urgent question about names?


I am writing a story set in Connemara, a sparsely populated area of Ireland. My mother came from there. I want to use names which are of the region, but I am v scared I will end up actually giving one of my characters a real person's name. How can I avoid that whilst keeping authentic sounding names? One of my characters has a building business, and defrauds people , so I must be so careful!   My book is set in 1996.  I am also thinking of renaming the island my mum came from, so that it has a fictional name.



Sorry again for being late - and I would really appreciate your thoughts!




2 comments:

Ann Turnbull said...

I just opened two of my own books, which state clearly that "this is a work of fiction and names etc are either the product of the author's imagination or, if real, are used fictitiously." I believe this is normal practice, and ought to cover it. However, I can see why you feel anxious. Maybe you could give the character a middle name, or a nickname?

Ann Turnbull said...

An imaginary place name sounds like a good idea.