Saturday 22 October 2022

Yikes! A Mummy's got my Granny! by Jason Beresford, illustrated by Chris White, reviewed by Pippa Goodhart





This is the most energetic bonkers fun romp of a story I’ve read in ages!

Fifteen year old (true) Pharaoh Ptolemy VIII jumped ship mid-battle dressed in gold armour and drowned … to re-emerge two thousand plus years later as a seven foot, red-eyed mummy! Stan and Zoe, Stan’s Gran, a group of beach donkeys, a shape-shifting arch-baddie, a magical amulet, a helicopter, a motorbike, a ferocious fish called Fangs, a dim policeman, a marching army of mummies intent on ruining children’s lives, and more, all spin together in a wonderfully nail-biting hilarious fast-paced tale that grabs the reader and takes them on a gripping roller-coaster story ride. The book is illustrated with clever cartoonish humour throughout by Chris White. And, at the end of the book, the references to Ancient Egypt, and true history, are explained. What better way to hook lively children into both reading and a fascination with the history of Ancient Egypt? Perfect for KS2 and early KS3. Highly recommended if you want reading and history to be fun!    

I must declare an interest here. I worked on this story in an earlier form, giving advice to Jason via Jericho Writers, so it’s been hugely pleasing to see the final, really satisfying, story result … and then to end my read by spotting my own name in those thanked at the end. I’m proud to have a connection to this book, thanks, Jason!

1 comment:

Jason Beresford said...

I'm not sure if it's poor form to comment on a review of your own book but WOW. Thanks Pippa. Your suggestions for the manuscript were a great help and I really appreciate the review here. I'm off to treat myself to Starbucks! (Other coffee chains are available.)