Wednesday 27 July 2022

Summer Reading by Claire Fayers

 How do you decide what to read next?

Moving house has had an unexpected benefit - my local library. There's a monthly book club, which has been a great way to meet people and try books I wouldn't normally read. The reservation system takes literally a few seconds to request a book. It's really nice to see the librarian taking my latest requests off the shelf when she sees me come in. My own books have a spot on top of the shelves, marked 'Local Author'. Now the librarian has started asking for recommendations of children's books to buy so there'll be a lot more Scattered Authors on the shelves soon.

Summer is a great time to read so here are some of the books I've borrowed recently.







Some of them are by people I know, some were recommended, by friends or on social media. The Lee Child book is our next book club read, and Beneath a Scarlet Sky was thrust into my hands by the librarian who wouldn't let me leave until I'd promised to read it. I'm halfway through it and it is pretty good.

This has made me realise how much I rely on personal recommendations for books. And I really, really love my library!


www.clairefayers.com  Recommend books to me on twitter @clairefayers

1 comment:

Penny Dolan said...

A library within walking distance is such a pleasure. Lucky you.

And it's great, as well, to have a librarian who's happy to welcome you, your books and your involvement in the titles on their shelves. Nice news!