Sunday 3 April 2022

WILLOWS - myth and folklore. by Sharon Tregenza

 



WILLOWS - myth and folklore in my WIP.





I needed a wood for my WIP. It's a very important part of the story so the trees had to be full of mystery, and character - I chose willows. With their graceful drooping branches, that look like strings of leaves, the smallest breeze will set the whole tree in motion - the sound of their gentle shhhh and whisper created the perfect atmosphere.


The research proved even more fascinating than I'd hoped and gave me more ideas for plot twists and character development. I discovered that in Celtic folklore the grey willow tree is known as the 'Tree of Enchantment' and that the word 'wiccan' meant those who bend and manipulate. So the willow became a symbol of sorcery.




There's even a 'Willow Tree Zodiac'

* Ruled by: the 5th Lunar Month

* Dates: 15th April - 12th May

* Ogham Letter: Saille (S)

* Ruling Planet: Moon

* Ruling Elements: Water


People born under the willow sign are said to be instinctual, patient, loyal and as they are knowledgable about a great many topics, they are the go-to friend for advice. Ruled by the moon willow signs are in touch with their psychic side too. I used these characteristics to develop the grandfather in my book and also to enhance important situations.

The strong bond between my main character and his grandfather was shown in their shared love of creating willow animals. Willow trees are flexible, the branches can be manipulated without snapping which makes it a popular wood for weaving and wickerwork. It's even possible to create living sculptures this way. 



 


The willow dragon Aiden and his grandfather create becomes a significant part of the plot.





There's a lot more to the myth and magic of willows and I think, like most of us do, I often get lost in the joy of the research. 


The first draft is with the publisher now so hopefully the willows will create their magic for me too. 😊



 



3 comments:

Steve Gladwin said...

Way to go, Sharon. Can't wait to see the results. What's it called? xx

Sharon Tregenza said...

Thank you, Steve. It's called 'THE WHISPER WOOD' xx

Lynne Benton said...

Sounds great, Sharon. Look forward to reading it!