Friday 29 April 2022

Frustration

Maybe it’s two years of Covid and lockdowns and limited contact. Maybe it’s a string of personal upheavals, large and small. Maybe it’s – I do so hope not – age. I’m 68. Whatever it is, I’m having a hard time concentrating right now. 

I’m having an especially hard time concentrating on a new story. I have the initial idea. I know how it ends. But in-between? Working out what happens in-between has been really, really difficult.

Almost impossible.

On other books I’ve always been able to sit quietly and, slowly, come up with a workable story outline. That hasn’t been possible with this one. Days of sitting at my desk with a pen and a notebook hasn’t resulted in anything but frustration.


So I’m trying something new; new to me, at least. I’m making it up as I go along. I sit down, look at how the last chapter ended and ask myself, What would be interesting now? And when I come up with an idea, if it feels good, that’s what I write.

It’s making for a story that moves in great crashing leaps and bounds from one big moment to another and, right now, deep in the first draft, I can’t tell whether it’s all going far too fast or whether the pace is just what the story needs. All I know is that I’m writing, which is good.

 It'll be interesting to see how it all comes out.

 

(The illustrations are some of the pictures I've collected for inspiration.)

5 comments:

Rowena House said...

Good luck!

Anne Booth said...

That sounds like a very good idea! If you think 'what would be good next' then there's a good chance the reader will find it very exciting too - and as it is a first draft there is plenty of opportunity for editing. Good Luck!

Susan Price said...

Your new method is pretty much how I've always written, Nick. Welcome to the Pantsers!

Joan Lennon said...

I've always admired Planners, but Pantsers rock!

Nick Garlick said...

Thanks for your comments everyone. Much appreciated. (I misread the word when I first saw your comment, Susan, as Panzer. And thought, what does a German World War II tank have to do with writing?) The moment passed. Thankfully.