Wednesday 16 March 2022

To the readers who help me write by Alex Cotter


A World Book Day (or Fortnight) thank you note

World Book Day 2022

Dear Students,

I just wanted to write to say a humongous World-Book-Day-thank-you for having, hosting, listening to and writing with me over the past two weeks. I travelled from Yorkshire to Bristol to Wiltshire to Harrow, both virtually and in real life – and I had a blast. I hope you did too.

train journey

Meeting you served as a stark reminder of how integral readers are to the process of writing stories. No offence to my own lovely kids and their friends, but the past two years of lockdowns have meant I’ve been limited to the stories of a few rather than the many. I’d almost forgotten how rich and exciting and rewarding it is to meet so many of you and hear your tales.

Imaginations & stories

You inspired, energised and enthused me with your wild imaginations and fantastic stories – real and made up. You also made me laugh. A lot. Looking at you in particular there, Connor* – I bow to your tenacity and skill in bartering a book purchase: a packet of Oreos and three WBD vouchers, ingenious!

Everywhere I went, I witnessed such compassion and sensitivity and curiosity. Such ambition too. Like you, Amy*, already a writer and publisher, proven by the £1 you showed me, paid by fellow student Sam* for a first edition of your book (bravo, Amy, that’s more than us authors get!)

Thank you to Max*: your incredible fascination for every detail of my model house helped me view it again from all kinds of new and different perspectives.

House on the edge

Thank you to Arshi* for gently and bravely coming to talk to me about your own writer ambitions, to pen a story about a Muslim girl like you – you inspired me in so many ways; I look forward to reading your book one day.

Thank you to Kai* for humbling me with your incredible compassion; you didn’t get to finish your own story idea as you were too busy looking after your friend who was struggling. I was bowled over by the incredible care you showed. It was an honour to meet you both.

Finally, thank you to you all – for making me want to work harder at being the best writer I can be. To be more entertaining, more empathetic, more inclusive. To imagine stories that will elicit more Oooohs and Aaaahs and lots more ‘Yup, that’s just how I feel’.

typewriter feedback

Also, if you can please tell your amazing librarians, teachers, TAs and all who work at your schools, how wonderful it was to witness first-hand their passion for reading and stories. I wasn’t at all surprised when you, Celeste*, returned to tell me, after deliberating over your future career at our story-making workshop, that you had made up your mind: “I want to be . . . a librarian.”

I know life at school isn’t all skipping and smiles; I know from my own kids that there are complexities and upsets and disappointments – but your thoughtful approach to one another, the energy of your minds and imaginations, wow, it gives me such hope for the future – that it’ll be framed in more empathy and kindness and creativity.

Without readers, I wouldn’t have a story. My own imagination is filling just from meeting you all.

But back to Connor* with the Oreos . . . throw in a KitKat and you’ve got a deal.

Warmest wishes,

Alex Cotter

*names changed for privacy


Alex Cotter’s middle-grade novel THE HOUSE ON THE EDGE came out in July 2021 with Nosy Crow. THE MERMAID CALL will be published on 7 July 2022. Find her at www.alexcotter.co.uk or on Twitter: @AlexFCotter

6 comments:

Sue Purkiss said...

Love this!

Alex Cotter said...

Ah thanks so much, Sue! x

Penny Dolan said...

Such a lovely post, Alex Cotter.

This IS what it is all about.

Thanks ofor the more-than-welcome reminder.

Alex Cotter said...

Oh, thank you, Penny! Yes, I didn't realise how MUCH I needed it till I went out and about again! x

Jenny Sullivan said...

That's exactly why I make school visits - sadly, because I live in Brittany, I haven't been able to make one since 2019 - but - I'll be back...

Alex Cotter said...

Hope you'll get back soon, Jenny!