Saturday 4 September 2021

The Unexpected Surprise - by Ciaran Murtagh

A quick blog from me today, sorry! But I wanted to spend a moment revelling in unexpected - and pleasant - surprises. 

As I was trundling about on the internet  I came across a show I helped develop a few years ago. It was only shown on RTE in Ireland so I never got to see it. However, I found out yesterday that I can see it all on BBC Alba on the iPlayer - who knew!?

The show is called Peek Zoo - or I'm guessing Su Pic in Gaelic -  and was based on a book by Kevin Waldron. Never having seen it I spent a half hour or so watching the short episodes, and because I was never expecting to see it, they were great! 

So often we build up to the big launch of a book or a show that we forget the moments that creep up on us and make us smile. Finding Peek Zoo was one. Another was in Luxembourg when someone turned up to an event with a French language version of my book that I didn't even know existed, another was when a window in Simply Books had been decked out in celebration of my Genie Academy series... 

It's those moments I come back to when I think about what I do. Sure the fanfares are nice, but so too are the unexpected toots - that sounds ruder than I meant it to -  they're the ones that stick the longest. 


No comments: