Thursday 13 May 2021

The Girl Who Ate Books Sheena Wilkinson

I'm on the move. I don't know exactly when -- it depends on when my house sells, but it's the first time I've moved in nearly 20 years and there seem, despite many clear outs over the years, to be rather more books than there used to be. 

Half my library has gone on in advance to my fiancĂ©'s house, where I'll be moving to, which means my  house now contains only six bookcases. (Down from 17 three years ago.) I'm being quite ruthless -- some pony books etc have found new homes through various enthusiasts' groups, and the local charity shops are getting an influx, but there are some books that it's hard to justify keeping, and moving sixty miles, but that I can't in all conscience expect anyone else to want.

Part of my library in its new home -- the posh part.

For a start, there are the books I have eaten. No photo -- it's too disgusting. But yes, gentle reader, there was a time when it would have been literally, and not merely metaphorically true to say that I devoured books. Many of my childhood favourites have neat little strips torn from the bottoms of the pages. I'd forgotten that I used to chew these strips, but when I found the torn pages it came back to me, like Proust's madeleine, the taste of those bits of paper. The difference in taste between an old book and a new, between an Armada paperback and a Puffin. What a revolting child I must have been. I can't expect anyone to want a half-eaten book. 

some old friends (not eaten)

I also illustrated my books. Or defaced, as some would say. I don't remember much about Heidi, and I wouldn't have said it was an especial favourite, but here it is with my drawings showing that I knew the story well. I can't expect anyone to pay for that.



I don't think Heidi spent all her time sitting at people's feet, but there seems to be a theme here...

And then that old Golden Book. The cover is coming off; I've no interest in the stories, but how can I get rid fo something with this dedication? I don't know who 1920s Sheena was, but I feel I should keep her book (even though she didn't). 




As for these three old Ladybirds -- there was a time when I knew no story so tragic as Ned the Lonely Donkey. How can I not cherish him?




And after all, the house I'm moving to is bigger than mine. Luckily. 

8 comments:

Paul May said...

I love this! But I should warn you, I moved in with my partner eight years ago and did just what you're doing. I've spent the last eight years searching for books I no longer own - AND BUYING THEM AGAIN! Oh yes, and building bookshelves!

Susan Price said...

Paul's right. Just accept the inevitable. Take all 17 bookshelves with you.
(But I, for one, wouldn't mind those books you illustrated. The drawings are rather good.)

Katherine Langrish said...

Those are very good drawings! :) Lovely post, and good luck with teh move and all else !!! xxx

Unknown said...

Yes, these books have ACCRUED value by being so lovingly adorned by little girl you. Just keep. x

Lynne Benton said...

Oh Sheena, I feel your pain! I started clearing out a few books, but kept thinking "I can't get rid of this one," or "this one" - so I ended up with about half a (small) box I could happily lose. Not much headway there, I'm afraid. Good luck with your clearout!

Becca McCallum said...

I ruthlessly got rid of all the books I could bear to part with to charity shops, but I'm still left with boxes and boxes of books that I feel are too good to simply give away, but I no longer wish to keep them. And then there's all the books I DO want to keep, but don't really have room for. I've forbidden myself from buying new books for the present.

Penny Dolan said...

Lots of sympathy from this corner.

Every time I try to face this one and decide, I end up shelving the problem.
Another day . . . or week . . . or month . . . or year . . . And so it goes on.

Pauline said...

Gosh - were you up until 4am sorting books? I love your illustrations. A gentleman in my old Italian class used to draw all the characters in books he read so he could feel he really knew them. Good luck with your move. x