Wednesday 17 March 2021

A shot in the arm? by Tracy Darnton

 

Today, March 17th, I am getting vaccinated.

I will drive into town, park by the museum I used to visit and walk to the Pavilion which used to hold events and the weekly roller disco. I now regret that I never went, that I let a dodgy ankle and a lack of balance and generally being a scaredy-cat hold me back from edging my way in roller skates round the perimeter of a room to ABBA tracks. I wish I’d given it a go.



Instead, this afternoon, I shall roll up my sleeve and get the long-awaited jab.

Afterwards, there will be no bookshop browsing in Mr B’s or Toppings; no flat white with writing friends at Boston Tea Party. I threw away my cardboard loyalty stamps long ago.

Then, I won’t need to buy any clothes or gifts for the events I’m not going to, nor shall I pick up any extra food, just for the hell of it, for supper with friends.

Because tonight, as every night for the foreseeable, it’s just us.

Everything in town will be familiar yet so very unfamiliar. Uncannily, eerily different like walking through a YA novel. Dystopia: Bath-style.

I wonder if today will feel different for the shot in the arm. A hint, a glimmer of the old life. Or a hazy promise of the days to come? Of my roller-skating future.

Today, March 17th, I am getting vaccinated.

 

 

Tracy Darnton is the author of YA thrillers The Rules and The Truth About Lies. She will try hard to be braver in the new normal, whatever it may be.

You can follow Tracy on Twitter @TracyDarnton


2 comments:

Joan Lennon said...

Jab well done ... trying to make a joke?

Lynne Benton said...

Definitely jab well done, Tracey - think of it as half-way to normality!