Tuesday 2 February 2021

Adventures with languages. Part Two; Spanish and French by Steve Way

 

I currently spend a lot of time teaching English to adults in Spain and Latin America. My students are wonderful people and because of this I’ve learned a lot about them and their various cultures. Given that Spanish is such a widely spoken language I feel slightly guilty teaching them English because their predominant reason for studying is because English happens to have become the language used in business, so much so that one or two of the students have described business meetings conducted in English in which the majority of the participants were native Spanish speakers and in fact occasionally all the participants spoke Spanish. Apparently though the Spanish spoken in the various Latin American countries can be very different to that spoken in Spain, from time to time resulting in embarrassing misunderstandings! Just as in the case of British and American English. (If you know what the American equivalent to ‘falling on my backside’ is, you will know what I mean.*)

One of the most interesting lessons I’ve learned is how similar, when translated, most Spanish and English idioms and expressions are. Often the difference is minimal. We might describe ourselves as having so much work it’s ‘up to my eyeballs’ whereas the Spaniards would describe it being ‘up to my eyebrows’. Perhaps when they’re overworked the Spanish have even more to do, which wouldn’t surprise me as despite the stereotypical ‘manana’ attitude I heard Spaniards being labelled with when I was growing up, the first thing I noticed about my Spanish students is how long they worked each day. Their office hours are much longer than the standard hours in the UK. (Also did you know that many Mexicans only have just over a week of holiday allowance!) Of course, the similarity in the form of these phrases we use is down to our common human experience and the images we can draw on from the world around us to describe them. One of my favourites that a student introduced to me recently when she had to take responsibility for a task at work was ‘the ball’s in my roof’. I was perplexed by this until my wife reminded me about ‘the ball’s in my court’ which I suppose is similar, though I still find it easier to imagine a ball ending up on one side of a tennis court than the roof of a house!

One other cause of confusion can come when we use the same words or expressions but pronounced them differently. Spanish speakers use the term WiFi but pronounce it as ‘wiffy’. One of my students was about to embark on a business trip to London (I note this was over a year ago) and declared that it would be important for him on arriving in his hotel to ask if they had really strong wiffy. I was glad to help prevent a diplomatic misunderstanding. I was also confused when a student told me he had been to ‘oosa’ for his holidays. ‘Yes,’ he explained, ‘We travelled all across oosa – New York, Chicago, Los Angeles…’ It turns out that Spanish speakers say more acronyms as words than we do.

Speaking of stereotypes – and it’s one of the reasons I feel it’s a shame that we don’t have, or use, a universal language, such as Latin or Esperanto, that doesn’t in some way ‘belong’ to a certain culture, or cultural group - I’m sure most of us would agree that the proportion of people who are bi- or multi- lingual is embarrassingly greater outside the United Kingdom. Arguably resulting in there being some truth in the assertion that in general we consider the teaching of languages as being less significant than elsewhere. The associated stereotype is the Brit who speaks increasingly more loudly when trying, hopelessly of course, to get his or her message across to a non-native speaker.

I was quietly rather pleased on one occasion to discover that this behaviour isn’t exclusively the preserve of the English. My wife and I moved to France five years ago into an old house with equally elderly heating arrangements. (A log fire is romantic in September when it fights off the chill of the evening – but ####y useless in actual wintertime.) So, we wanted to buy a paraffin heater to provide extra back-up when needed. We found one in our local DIY and explained that this was what we wanted to one of the assistants. She explained to us – that much we understood – that we need to buy something extra to enable the heater to function. This extra requirement was named a ‘pile’ apparently – pronounced ‘peel’. Neither Jan or I could quite understand why we may possibly require some form of medication in order to operate a paraffin heater and both looked blankly back at the assistant. She repeated the word ‘peel’ more loudly. No doubt like the archetypal Brits in this situation she thought all foreigners are hard of hearing. Of course, this didn’t help, and she repeated ‘PEEL’ more loudly and in a more aggravated tone. (Ref. British stereotype.) Fortunately, this did bring some benefit as the loud peal of ‘PEEL’ throughout the building brought one of her colleagues to investigate. She explained the ‘pile’ is the French for battery.

Well kind of… I now of course, after this memorable lesson, reasonably thought I knew the French for battery. So sometime later when I went into a garage needing a new battery for a car, I told the assistant that I needed a ‘pile’. He looked at me a little oddly I thought, as though I was wasting his time, and rather pointedly at the supermarket across the way. Somewhat grudgingly he then directed me towards a corner of the workshop. As I walked towards the display he’d indicated I noticed that he’d directed me passed shelves laden with car batteries. The display he’d sent me to housed an array of torch batteries. ‘No’, I explained, returning to the assistant, ‘I need a ‘pile’ for my car’. ‘Ah!’ he replied, finally understanding why the mad Englishman had come here just to buy a single torch battery. ‘You mean ‘batterie’.’

Car batteries are ‘batteries’ and torch batteries are ‘piles’.

Obvious really! Gnn.

 ~~~~~

*If you don’t I’m not going to tell you!

No comments: