Friday 29 January 2021

The Well Is Dry by Nick Garlick

My life in lockdown is nowhere near as severe as many I´ve heard about. I´m surrounded by woods for walks, the supermarket is only a couple of minutes away, and my wife and I live in a flat big enough that we´re not under each other´s feet all day.

Yet I can´t help echoing a description of Judi Dench's current lockdown circumstances, from a piece in The Guardian: ‘She gets up each morning determined to keep herself busy. She crawls back to bed with most of the tasks left undone.’ I can keep myself clean and presentable, eat properly and go for a walk each day, but that’s about it. When it comes to inspiration, the tank is most definitely dry! Staring at an empty page is my new hobby.

But I don’t want to leave my monthly blog page blank so, if you’ll forgive me, I’m offering this brief synopsis of Star Trek: Beyond, written after watching the third in the current franchise with Chris Pine as Captain Kirk. I offer it up as the rambling thought of a (very) scattered author. Who knows? It might even be my calling card to Hollywood.

 


Deep space rumble. Alien snarl. Warp drive. Explosion. More explosions. Aliens! Pew pew pew! Panic. Screams. Pew pew pew! Yells. She no cannae do it, Captain! Crash landing. Rocks, dust, destruction. Alien babe. Snarl. Grimace. Threat. Pew pew pew! Swoosh! Roar! Zip. Pow! Pew pew pew! Flash! Swirl! Run and screams. Biff! Bap! Pow! Crunch! Final alien snarl. Sequel.

3 comments:

Joan Lennon said...

Hang in there, Nick = pew,pew!

Penny Dolan said...

Thanks for your post. It is hard to write when a lot of life feels so thin, Nick, and the long weeks of January have been hard.

Meanwhile, I hope your (possible) expeditions into the world of folk & fairy tales help a little or offer some tale you can make your own - with or without thos dynamic sound effects. Boldly on!

Nick Garlick said...

Thank you, Joan. And Penny. January is definitely not the best month to be stuck at home, is it?