Monday 23 November 2020

Call out for favourite Christmas books! - Sue Purkiss

Hi all. 

A couple of years ago, when we were battling to save our library from closure, I set up a Facebook page on behalf of the library friends group.

It's still there, but I'd like to shift the focus. At the moment we don't need to campaign, so I thought it could be more about encouraging the love of books. As a start, I'd like to open a discussion on the page about favourite books for the Christmas season.


My own go-to book for Christmas reading is The Dark Is Rising, by Susan Cooper. I can't count how many times I've picked it up in December, ready to be entranced by that world of sudden snowfalls and menacing rooks, mysterious signs, sudden danger, and a knock at the door from the magnetic Merriman Lyon. I'm not alone; a couple of years ago Robert Macfarlane, author with Jackie Morris of the wonderful The Lost Words, hosted a Twitterfest with thousands of fans reading the book throughout December.

Well, that would be my pick - but what would be yours? For children or adults - all welcome! Please do share your favourites!



8 comments:

Abbeybufo said...

Jenny Overton: The Thirteen Days of Christmas is one that I revisit most years

Jane said...

I have four! Rumer Godden, The story of Holly and Ivy; Rosemary Sutcliff, The Armourer's House (the last chapters are gloriously Christmassy); Beatrice Potter, The Tailor of Gloucester; Elizabeth Goudge, Little Sister of the Angels.

Sue Purkiss said...

Thanks so much!

Penny Dolan said...

There is always that wondeful picture book "Mog's Christmas" by Judith Kerr.

When I read Mog's Christmas during a December Storytime in the Library, I noticed that the mums and grans and all were as absorbed in the story as the children. Maybe even more, as they were probably remembering the book being read to them as children not so very many years before. A magic moment

Amanda said...

Loads! The Children of Green Knowe, The Mouse & His Child, The Lion the Witch & the Wardrobe, The Tailor of Gloucester just for starters. Picture books esp good but Crispin the Pig Who Had it All is hilarious.

Moira Butterfield said...

Good old Terry Pratchett - The Hogfather or any of his books really, with a nice glass of something. Like stepping into a happy place.

Anne Booth said...

I love all these recommendations. I have just read 'Dogger's Christmas' by Shirley Hughes and it is LOVELY.

Sue Purkiss said...

Thank you everyone!