Monday 10 August 2020

Making a publicity video Moira Butterfield

I managed it! I managed to make a book publicity video and post it on my own Youtube Channel (which I did not have until a few days ago) and on Instagram TV (which I didn’t even know existed until a couple of weeks ago).

 

I’ve done this because publishers want as much as possible from us in terms of online material, and I knew I had to bite the bullet and step up – even though I am not yet sure who will watch it other than my family and friends (see last month’s blog).

 

During lockdown I did a great Society of Authors workshop with Candy Gourlay and Chitra Sounder which made filming seem less daunting. Because I don’t have novel chapters to read out I decided I wanted to be a ‘roving author’ -  not sitting at a desk. That meant filming outside when the weather was sunny – giving good lighting. I discovered it’s best to face towards the sun when filming, though not so much that I had to squint.


I did put on sunglasses at the end, for effect.

 

I read up on selfie sticks and chose a BlitzWolf Bluetooth Selfie stick that has an extendable arm but also doubles up as a tripod. It has a (tiny) remote control so I could, in theory, turn it on and off from afar – but I admit I haven’t got the hang of that yet. 

 

I also followed up on Candy’s tip to get an autocue app on my phone, which is excellent.  I’m using Teleprompter – I can type in a script or link to one on the computer and then choose the font size, colour and the speed it scrolls up on the phone screen. As I film I can see the script and as I’m looking at the camera nobody would know I was reading it.

 

I split my video into separate takes to make things easier and I chose an outfit that looked bright and breezy.

 

So, all set with my plan, I ventured outside one sunny morning, and discovered just how incredibly noisy my neighbourhood is. Neighbours coming out, dogs barking, recycling trucks, strimmers, radios, car horns, kids shouting, motorbikes….It took all morning to do it in different locations, and I ended up with a few takes that made me look insane and scary, but I eventually got the hang of it. It was fun to do and the hardest thing was finding locations where I could film undisturbed.


Shut up, everybody! I'm filming!

 

I gave the videos to a friend who, for modest payment, edited it together with some of the book illustrations and added some groovy sounds (that is way beyond me). He’s given me a tip for next time – leave more of a pause before starting to talk and also when ending a take – so he can edit it more easily. He did two versions – landscape for YouTube and portrait for Instagram TV. We changed a few things and then got ready to post.

 

I was concerned this was going to be difficult but it was easy enough. It took me a while how to work out how to link Instagram TV with my Instagram story function but I did it with the help of online instructions – There are lots out there. It all seemed pretty intuitive.

 

I have no idea who will watch these but who knows? I feel much more confident filming now, so I guess as I add in more videos I might get more interest. At least I can say I did it, and it wasn’t beyond me.


The video ends with the cover and information, though not details
I might have to change for foreign editions.


 

It’s not too difficult, and it’s a lot of fun! (I bought a cheap halo light to help with indoor filming but haven’t tried that yet, so I will report back another time).

 

Check me out here, and do let us know any other filming tips you might have.


https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk74GKogEymUxb3HBNUNzhg?reload=9


Moira Butterfield
www.moirabutterfield.com
Twitter @moiraworld
Instagram @moirabutterfieldauthor

 

6 comments:

michelle lovric said...

Amazed at your technical genius! I love how high tech and pretty florals combine in this video. Refrain of 'In the Future' is very effective for embedding the book in the subconscious too. Very best of luck with it.

Val Girling said...

You've been lucky finding someone to edit the films, as I've just had to try to get them perfect( or as near to it as I can) in one take! Still, I'm getting better at it and now have 4 subscribers to my channel!

Val Girling said...

That was meant to be tongue in cheek!

Moira Butterfield said...

Ho ho! I can assure you the repetition was entirely unthought-through! I could never do it in one take. My friend charged £100 and made it all work - adding in the effects. I hope to get better at it because there are a lot of outtakes where I sound bonkers. I dream of getting 4 subscribers, Val! As I have registered it for Youtube kids the comments are switched off btw.

Penny Dolan said...

Impressive and interesting, Moira. It also sounds quite a lot of fun to do!

James Franklin said...

In traditional publishing the publishing house buy the rights of the book from the author. The author of the book gets royalties from the selling of the book. If you want to publish your book in traditional publishing then you can contact Grace Point Publishing. They will offer you the best contract.