Monday 20 May 2019

Ditch the Words - Joan Lennon

Writers' heads are full of words - of course they are.  Words are our tools and our delight and what grounds us and what drives us round the twist.  We see in words.  We understand in words.  But sometimes, living constantly with/through/by words becomes a tyranny.  You just have to take a break.  You just have to ditch them.   

I find my escapes from words in photography, art galleries and music.  Where do you find yours?  Please share in the comments, but first, why not spend a couple of minutes with the Vivaldi Guys.  Not a word in sight ...  





P.S.  When you are reading this, I'll be in Indonesia, trying to respond to that amazing country in words and most likely failing utterly.  Thank goodness for cameras! 


Joan Lennon's website.
Joan Lennon's blog.
Walking Mountain.

5 comments:

Nick Garlick said...

In no particular order: looking after plants; taking and sorting my photographs; the ironing.

Susan Price said...

Like Nick, my first thought was my garden. I've only recently taken up gardening (part of a process of turning into my mother) but I love it. I can nip outside for ten minutes and come in three hours later. Today I need to check on my himalayan poppy, pot on some seedlings, find a home for the runner beans... And as Joan says, you don't need to think in words at all.

Anne Booth said...

This is so true. I love paining and, like Susan, am learning to garden. I absolutely loved that video clip of the musicians, and here is a link to a programme I watched at the weekend: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0005bpm/bbc-young-dancer-2019-grand-final - it was the final of BBC Young Dancer 2019, and it was wonderful to see how expressive people could be with dance, rather than words.

Anne Booth said...

I love PAINTING - not paining. That sounds awful.

Penny Dolan said...

Ironing, Nick! While i do not love & devote myself to it except when there are heaps of it, the orderliness and the scent of the clean washing can be very soothing to a crumpled mind. Pictures and plants and places not one's desk here too!