Wednesday 24 April 2019

SOME THOUGHTS ABOUT BOOKSHOP VISITS

I've been published for nearly forty years but it is only recently that I've started promoting my books in shops. I've done festivals, and over a thousand school visits, but never dared venture into shops. I think I was put off by a chance visit to Waterstones in Winchester many years ago. A really famous author of adult books was doing a signing and she had no one. I thought if it could happen to someone of her standing, it was bound to happen to me.

That all changed lately with social media. My facebook and twitter feeds were awash with fellow authors doing bookshop events. And so I took the plunge. I've only done two readings and signings, both in Waterstones. I also have one lined up at the Little Ripon Bookshop tomorrow. Here's what I learnt so far:


1.  ORGANISE THE EVENTS YOURSELF

I was primarily promoting The Unicorn Prince, because it's a story I've told many times in schools and feel comfortable performing it in shops. I had a few meetings with the pr people at Orchard  to promote the book but nothing came of them (although they did manage to get some good reviews in the national papers) so I thought I'd do it myself.

I direct messaged four Waterstones on Twitter, all in North Yorkshire where I live, and three responded positively. I was surprised at how eager they were to have me in.




2. CHOOSE SHOPS CLOSE TO YOUR HOME

Some publishers don't mind paying travel costs for events you organise yourself. Others not so much. Do check before if they're willing to shell out before the event as most won't if they event has already happened. I settled on Waterstones in Harrogate and Middlesborough because I could get quite easily and they have lovely coffee shops I love hanging in.

3 SEND PROMOTIONAL MATERIAL WELL IN ADVANCE
Some shops say they will print up their own posters but they're not as good as the ones from your publishers (who you should always badger into printing some for you.) Send them well in advance. I also found offering people in the shop bookmarks and postcards was a brilliant way to introduce myself, and follow the introduction with '...we're having some stories over there if you'd like to join us.'

4 SET YOUR OWN TIMES
Most shops will advertise definite times for the events. I found this should only be taken as a guideline. I mooched around the shops, looking for kids who might like a story, and started only when I had a little group (or the kids I had waiting looked like they might run away.)

5
PROMOTE MORE THAN ONE BOOK AT THE SAME EVENT
As I said, I wanted to promote The Unicorn Prince but the children who turned up at the Middlesborough event were too old for it. Luckily, the canny woman in charge had also placed my Ancient Greece books on the display and we sold some of those. I was able to tell stories at the older kids' level so everything worked out well.

6
YOUR BOOKS WILL ALSO SELL AFTER THE EVENT
I sold only a handful of books in both events but I signed a lot of stock which was stickered and given a prominent place in the shop displays. According to a friend of mine who is a buyer for an independent bookshop, book events create a buzz that stays in the shop long after the author has left.

So there you are. If you like me, you've always been a bit apprehensive about doing events in shops, there's nothing to be scared of. People who go into bookshops are book-lovers and they're always keen to meet an author.


Saviour's The Unicorn Prince is illustrated by Jane Ray. Mark of the Cyclops, the first book in the Ancient Greek Mysteries series won the North Somerset Teachers' Award for  Quality Fiction 2019.
Follow Saviour on twitter @spirotta.
www.spirotta.com

1 comment:

Anne Booth said...

This is very good advice!