Monday 22 October 2018

The Story That Chose Me, by Dan Metcalf


Mostly, writing books for children is a fun job, because I get to write about whatever I want. Child detectives? I wrote ‘em. Galaxydefenders? I wrote that too. Dinosaurs with laser guns? Can’t get enough of ‘em.

But sometimes, I feel like I haven’t really got a choice in what I write. Sometimes, I think the story chooses me.

One day I was taking my cat to the vet. While I was waiting I picked up a magazine, and I was shocked by the article I saw.



...thousands of cats were sent to the trenches of World War One…”

Cats? Why? I had to know! I found myself looking at my own tired, old moggy, and wondering if he would be any good in a war? 

Probably not.

I started to research. It turned out that the trenches in France and Belgium during the conflicts of 1914-18 were very tempting for vermin, so the generals ordered that cats were brought in to deal with them.

I couldn’t shake the idea of a cat in a horrible war zone. They would have been born over here in our country, taken across the sea to France and Belgium, and delivered to the trenches, where there were bombs and gunfire and mud. But then again, this is what happened to thousands of young men and boys.

Soon the cats that were sent as ratters became friends to the soldiers. Some became mascots to the whole squadron. The more I read about his, the more I knew I had to write it. So I did.

I wrote a book called Paw Prints in the Somme, for 8-12 year olds. I made up a cat called Tom, who was raised on a farm in Devon, but taken to war. He’s scared, but finds a friend in Jim, a soldier who was just 14 years old (an all-to-common occurrence in the ‘Great War’ due to the leaders choosing to believe the lies told to them by the boys seeking glory). Together, they promise to get through the war and return home to Devon. I found it to be the hardest book I have ever written, largely because of how important it felt when I read about the real cases of child and grown-up soldiers in the trenches.

This November I’ll be touring around schools to give assemblies based on the theme of Remembrance and my book. I’m hoping it will help children remember the fallen, especially since now there are no survivors of the war itself to pay our respects to.

It is important to remember those who fought in WW1, and all wars, because they did the bravest and most selfless of things, fighting and risking their lives for something they believe in. This year it is exactly 100 years since the end of World war One, and it is more important than ever that we say thank you to those that were part of the war: men, boys, horses, pigeons… and cats.


***


Dan Metcalf is a writer of books for children. You can find his new book Paw Prints in the Somme at danmetcalf.co.uk/pawprints



3 comments:

Ann Turnbull said...

This sounds like a great story, Dan. I had no idea cats were sent to the trenches (still find it hard to believe they weren't just a nuisance; I mean, cats never do what you want, do they? and if there's one thing they hate, it's loud bangs.) Well, plenty to talk about with the children, and they are sure to enjoy your visits!

Anne Booth said...

I love the sound of this!

Andrew Preston said...

When I first read your post, the neighbours cat had just popped in through the front window of my flat, and was settling herself in my lap. As she did so, purring, it seemed difficult to imagine her out there in the trenches, taking on some rat the size of herself.

A little while later, now outside, she reminded me of the true nature of a cat. She was standing over a very dead mouse. Of course, perhaps she'd only intended to ask it some questions. But then its head had accidentally fallen off.