Saturday 13 July 2013

Know Your Market, Know Your Reader

 

I'm running a 'Writing for Children' workshop with fellow children's author Ann Evans in Nuneaton today. One of the things we'll be talking about is how important it is to think about the age of the reader you're writing for and the market you're aiming at. Standard advice for new writers but it made me wonder, how many established writers actually do this.

So how do you write? Do you study the market, look for a gap in it and try to fill that gap? Or try to write 'what's hot' at the moment? Do you have the age of your reader in mind when you write or do you simply write the story that's in your head and then hope you can sell it?

I put questions like this to the wonderful SAS members when I was writing my latest book Get Writing: Children's Fiction which will be published on 18 July. They gave me some brilliant answers so thank you very much, SAS, for sharing your expert tips and advice with me and would-be writers everywhere. You're stars!






Karen King writes all sorts of books, check out her website at http://www.karenking.net/


5 comments:

Ann Evans said...

Love the look of your new book Karen, can't wait to get a copy.

Sue Bursztynski said...

With fiction I write what's in my head and hope it sells, but when I write non-fiction, it's usually commissioned. At that point, I think of what's likely to entertain - working with kids, I have a reasonable idea. :)

Anonymous said...

I would say just write what is in your heart, but the question is whether it pays your way or not...

lee said...

The great thing about writing as far as i can see is getting gratitude from the readers enjoying what you have written. Lee http://www.thebucketlist.org.uk

Karen said...

Thanks for all your comments everyone. :)