Wednesday 8 September 2010

Happy New Year! Catherine Johnson

No I'm not Jewish, although I do feel sort of vestigally Jewish on account of my secondary school being heavily Jewish, still being able to sing the whole of Hava Nagila and nursing a fondness for latke. It's just this time of year, back to school, back to work - even if like me you spent the summer months too close to your desk for comfort.

Both my children are adults and I have no ties to the turning of the school year but I still feel chained to the cycle of three terms a year. I've done my first session in a school - it was with teachers so doesn't quite count - and today after a four week break I looked at my current work in progress.

I have been doing other stuff, writing a lovely treatment for an early seventies set film, tweaking a modern, inner city funny book for girls (set for publishing with Frances Lincoln next year yippee!) and avoiding vengeful Mama Mia fans who simply won't accept that I an not that Catherine Johnson.

I have one other nugget of exciting news. I've been lucky enough to be on a committee to commission the new medals for the London Olympics. So during the summer I had the opportunity to go backstage at the British Museum handling renaissance medals struck by Italian masters for their Florentine Dukes.

There's nothing like touching something that was made in 1444 to make you imagine you could shut your eyes, open them again and actually be there. It didn't work, but you never know....if there's no post from me in a months time you'll know where I'll be.

Catherine

2 comments:

Penny Dolan said...

What a wonderful experience! To hold such medals in your hand. I feel more interested in the Olympics already, although this is from rather a low base point.

Happy New Year to you and to everyone, including little ones toddling off to school for the very first time.

Miriam Halahmy said...

Shana Tova - Happy New Year - which school do you teach in? And how exciting about the medals. Great opportunity. Enjoy!