It is incredible how fast children's books can become dated, especially if they're realistic fiction with a contemporary setting. 25 years ago I wrote a short football novel that referenced Michael Owen and held up Brazil as the team that exemplified a style of football that's now more associated with Spain. I wrote my first books when mobile phones were a novelty and there was still a phone tethered in the hallway in most houses. I always did my best to avoid writing dialogue in imitation of contemporary slang because I knew how that would seem out of date by the time the book was published, but I had no idea how fast the world would change. I see now why children's writers love fantasy and historical fiction.
An adult reader will pick up a John Le Carré novel and they'll recognize a past they've lived through. They won't be puzzled by characters having to visit a library or an archive to find information that today is available in a couple of clicks; they'll understand that, in a crisis, the hero can't just whip out a phone and call for help - they'll have to find a phone box, they'll need money . . . Jason Reynolds said in his film Dear Dreamer that he thought if his books were still being read forty years from now, 'I've failed.'
'Forty years from now we ain't figured out new books yet? Language is living, it's growing, it's changing, it's evolving . . . Books have to do the exact same thing in order for me to see eye to eye with the young people.'
Jason Reynolds isn't worried about his books dating because he wants young people to be reading new books all the time. Well, he probably doesn't want them reading the new stuff ALL the time, but it does mean he doesn't have to worry about being out of date. And there might come a time, but who knows when that will be, when 'out-of-date' turns into 'vintage' and then into 'classic'. And sometimes, even in realistic contemporary fiction, writers manage to nail something universal in their characters, or something so appealing in their stories, that their books never go out of print, no matter how dated they seem. I'm thinking of Noel Streatfeild or Arthur Ransome for example.
Maybe it'a a bit like the way you don't worry too much about a word you don't know if the plot's propelling you forward or you're desperately involved with the fortunes of a favourite character. Then you won't stop to worry about why they haven't made that phone call or sent that message.
Jason Reynolds has a point though. Everything these days is so instant and young people are tuned in to a constantly changing stream of information. Books are so slow. They're out of date before you've even finished writing them. It can take years to get from the first idea to the published book, and the potential readers of your book might not even be born when you have that first idea.
No comments:
Post a Comment