Saturday, 3 October 2026

Thank You to Bookmarks - Joan Lennon


If you're like me, the whole thing of going cold into a bookshop and saying to the person behind the counter, 'Hi, I'm X and I've written a book called Y and I'd be happy, um, you know, to sign any copies you... have... um, er... I brought my own pen...' while they stare, blank-faced at best, deeply suspicious at worst,* and the hot flush rises to your hairline, isn't fun.

This is where having bookmarks come in. Instead of staring at you, for a few moments they're staring at the bookmarks and the picture of the cover is right there, saying 'Look at me - I'm legit!' A few moments during which they just might journey back from the foothills of disdain, start checking on the computer and possibly crack a smile. If they don't have a copy, you can still be Lady Munificent and give them some bookmarks. And if they DO have a copy that they produce for you to sign, well, you've got your own pen.


Revolution! 12 Seismic Shifts that Changed the World! by Joan Lennon, illustrated by Teo Georgiev, published by Templar Books

*This is more of a big book chain kind of response. The little independents warm up way quicker!

Joan Lennon website

Joan Lennon Instagram

1 comment:

Penny Dolan said...

Very good point! Bookmarks and postcards can be useful conversation starters, and good for occasionally offering to people at book events & signings, especially when seated near a bigger author name & queue.