Friday 3 November 2023

A POET AND DON'T KNOW IT. by Sharon Tregenza

I'm having a bit of a clear out of old bits of work on my laptop and came across a load of these - children's poems I wrote many years ago.

I've had some published in anthologies and won a few competitions too. Not sure what to do with them now but before I decide I thought I'd give one or two an airing here. So here goes...


WORM

If you can't tell my top from my bottom

especially when I writhe and wriggle,

just tickle me in the middle-y bit

and watch to see which end will giggle.







THE SELFISH SHELLFISH

My next-door neighbours bought a shrimp,
a small aquatic pet.
It wouldn't be much trouble
and it shouldn't need a vet.

The problem started in the tank
with all the other creatures.
Shrimpy saw the rest as food,
as different menu features.

He ate those fish with relish,
a mighty appetite,
then wiped his mouth and looked around
for something else to bite.

It grew and grew this critter.
All legs and eyes on stalks.
And pretty soon the neighbours
had to take it out for walks.

One day, although they'd fed him
fifty loaves of bread and jam.
That greedy shrimp sneaked in the pool
and ate them, while they swam.






TICK TOCK

I caught a tick.
I called it Tock.
I have to watch it all the time.

I have to clock
that tick called Tock,
'cause he might bite your arm - or mine.







Hope you like them. 😀