Tuesday 1 August 2023

WHICH BOOK ARE WE READING TODAY? by Penny Dolan

 Which title? This one or that?

I slip out the next picture book, scan the cover, glance at a spread or two and pause. Hmm, not for this time. I flip the book forward in the book box, with a moment’s sympathy for author, illustrator and designer, but, as people say: I am On a Mission. I need to find books: the right books. 

I try the next and next and then . . . Yes, here’s one. Hooray! I look quickly through the pages and add it to the pile of ‘possible’ picture books by my side.

 

A small girl studies me from the other side of the alphabet rug. “What is that lady doing, mummy?” she asks. Her mum, busily feeding a stack of titles into the book scanner, raises an eyebrow at me. Children, eh?


I am sitting in the local Junior library, selecting “Best Books” to read at my Under-Fives Story-time in a week’s time.


I like to read each chosen book aloud under my breath, ‘feeling’ the words in the mouth, listening to the flow of the language, noticing the storyline. I’m following the storyline too, imagining how the title would work, both for me as ‘reader’ and for my audience.


This calm quiet period of preparation is important because Storytime sessions are, erm, flexible events. ‘Customer numbers’ vary with the day of the week the weather forecast and even the mood of the week: the group, as a whole, might be anything between sixteen or sixty listeners - or more.


Besides, the Under Five’s age-range is what is called interesting. It might include any mix of babes-in-arms, wobbly toddlers, wide-eyed two-year olds, enthusiastic three-year-olds and four-year-olds with very decided views. One child might be scared of the crowd, another in a serious sulk and yet anothersimply ready to lie down on a big coloured cushion and fall asleep.


Of course, these little ones are only part of the total Storytime audience. The other half includes all the adults: the mothers, fathers, parents, grandparents and carers, with maybe a new-born sibling to welcome or an awkward school-child on early holiday break. Most are happy to join in with the familiar, long-remembered songs and rhymes, the instruments and the bubbles – but what will be a good picture book for hearing at Storytime?


Certain “Read Aloud” features stand out for me; some practical, some aesthetic and some personal preference. In no particular order, I have discovered I like:


- A hardback book because that makes page-turning easier and more controllable, letting me vary the rhythm of the page-turns, adding suspense to the reveals. Though novelty books are fun, they can damage all too easily. One single story session spoiled the sound effects in a seaside book: just too many pushy fingers!


- A strong ‘voice’ and a sense of rhythm in the writing makes a book much easier for reading aloud. The fluency within Julia Donaldson’s and Michael Rosen’s best storybooks comes from the years of performance & poetry behind each author.


- The use of repetition and refrains so that the listeners are invited in and feel part of the structure of the story. (However, there are more than enough “where is my home?” stories to go round.)


- A good strong middle, without too many examples of this or that extension of the central premise filling the page count.


- Clear typography and layout of text, even if the layout is innovative. Personally, I much prefer dark text on a white or light background to light print on a dark background, except for emphasis. Library lighting is not always good.


- And sense of colour within the design, whether subtle or bold, and art work that offers clear and exciting images and perspectives.


Finally, I do like a book or two to be about children – not dogs or rabbits or dinosaurs or jungle creatures – but about real children living today.

After all, I’ll be reading the books to real children, won’t I?

Zoom! by Trish Cooke (English) Paperback Book Free Shipping ...

Penny Dolan


 

3 comments:

Joan Lennon said...

Your sessions sound wonderful! Thanks for doing them.

Penny Dolan said...

Thanks, Joan.

Alas, not sure you would find my singing between the story-books so wonderful.
Am more in the "makes up with enthusiasm for what she lacks . . ." school of music.

Sue Purkiss said...

They're lucky to have you! Very interesting list of things that work and don't work.