Wednesday 2 August 2023

Sum thoughts By Steve Way

 

There are many precise details I don’t remember from over fifty years ago but I do recall the key points. Combining memory with surmise, I assume, as occurs for many teachers, Mr Philips had found himself with some time to kill towards the end of the day and improvised. I think he chose me first and suddenly demanded that I tell him the result of six times seven, or some similar sum.

No doubt in many schools, where the times tables were learned by rote, I’d have been equipped to answer that question automatically and robotically… possibly. Our head teacher inspired a more progressive approach, which as time was to prove provided advantages and disadvantages in equal measure. For that reason, when this question was thrown at me, I wouldn’t have been able to recall, if asked, the last time that I’d wrestled with the dilemma of which number would be reached should I combine groups of six seven times over, or vice versa. Befuddled by surprise and panic I blurted out an answer that could have been ‘thirty’. (I wish I’d had the wherewithal of one of my own students, years later, who himself didn’t recall the answer but astutely replied ‘a number’.*) Mr Philips ordered me to stand up and then began asking the other children in the class to answer similar sums.

Maybe I had missed something in previous classes, or perhaps forewarned by what had happened to me, my classmates answered carefully and with the exception of one of the girls in the class, did so correctly. As the questions flew around the room, I had time to summon up the number that would become so significant in years to come thanks to ‘Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy’. The unfortunate girl was admonished for giving the wrong answer, as was I more severely for making a ‘wild guess’.

Perhaps it was because, even though at the time I wouldn’t have been able to verbalise it, not having much respect for Mr Philips, meant I didn’t let that negative experience (and others unleashed by other teachers) permanently quash my enthusiasm for mathematics, though as you can see the memory of that humiliation, though not completely exact has survived half a century.

I outlined this event because it seems to me that virtually every one of us in the course of our education has had a negative experience of maths and depending on the timing and intensity of this, along with our resilience at the time, this leads to many children – and then adults – passionately either hating the subject, thinking that they are no good at it, or both. Although I’ve mainly worked with children in my role of a teacher, I’ve also worked with several adults, every one of which told me, ‘I can’t do maths’ before I began working with them. This included a woman who worked as a senior accountant and patently managed numbers pretty well. ‘Well, that doesn’t count…”

Actually, the accountant’s view reveals another problem with ‘maths’ – it’s a very diverse subject. Being so diverse it’s inevitable that most of us will have aspects of mathematics that are a closed book for us. (For me it’s logarithms, however hard I try to remain tangle-free they quickly tie me in knots.) Even Einstein was alleged to have the mathematical equivalent of dyslexia. I remember working with a boy who was considered to be poor at maths – and he did find many aspects of the subject baffling – but who was brilliant at understanding the most complex aspects of geometry, easily dealing with challenges that would have had the rest of us scratching our heads.

I think it was this dual dilemma concerning maths that encouraged me to do my best to write stories, sketches and poems aimed at making the subject more accessible, creative… and fun. I don’t know how successful I’ve been at doing that but I guess the main reason I wanted to write this is to reiterate, as if you didn’t know already, that the unlikeliest topics can be a source of ideas for writing. I’ve been most excited when, after hearing my seven and eight times table poems, some children have spontaneously had a go at writing four times table poems etc. or after I’ve suggested the idea of a ‘times table dance’ with movement for each number the children have worked on their own choreography or unexpectedly came across a child playing an animated adventure set in space on a computer that I had written. I hope these children at least had a more positive experience of learning mathematics.

*Though thinking about it, as Mr Philips patently didn’t have a sense of humour that would possibly have worsened my predicament.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I co-authored a series of books for teachers with educator Simon Hickton. They contain stories etc. along with teaching resources for each piece.

Using stories to teach maths Age 4 to 7 ISBN 9781909860025

Using stories to teach maths Age 7 to 9 ISBN 9781909860018

Using stories to teach maths Age 9 to 11ISBN 9781909860001

Published by Hopscotch Books (hopscotchbooks.com)

No comments: