Thursday 20 June 2019

Resources Worth At Least Two Cows - Joan Lennon

I write historical fiction for children and young people, so of course I think that is an excellent way of bringing the past to life.  I read historical fiction, and non-fiction, and have a long-standing unfulfilled dream of being an archaeologist.*  But I also keep stumbling across online resources that illuminate aspects of times gone stunningly.  Here are a few of my favourites:

I love any and all of Prior Attire's videos -



There's this mesmerising video showing how the borders and populations of Europe ebb and flow from 400 BCE to 2017 CE -




And I recently discovered this historical currency converter from The National Archives.  Did you know that in 1270, £1 was worth £729.83?  And that with it you could buy 1 horse, 2 cows, or pay the wages of a skilled tradesman for 100 days?  Two hundred years later, in 1470, it was worth £685.79 and you could still get a horse or 2 cows for it, but only 33 days of work from a skilled tradesman.  In 1850, you'd need £15. to get that horse or those 2 cows, or a whopping 75 days' worth of work from a skilled tradesman.  



Edward Hicks The Cornell Farm 1848
wiki commons

What online resources have you found that help to make the past more vivid and accessible, to yourself or to your pupils or children? 



* Ignore my cronky knees and dodgy back - just give me a trowel and a toothbrush!


Joan Lennon's website.
Joan Lennon's blog.
Silver Skin, The Slightly Jones Mysteries, The Wickit Chronicles


3 comments:

Susan Price said...

Great post -- I'm making a note of that currency converter!

Joan Lennon said...

And it's all research, right? Not just having fun ...

Penny Dolan said...

I really did enjoy the Jacobean lady donning her attire, now that I can watch her on a non-phone screen. Thanks.