Thursday 31 January 2019

Those First Draft Demons by Emma Pass


When I first start a new story, I’m always excited. It’s a shiny new idea, one I’ve thought about for months, even years, and I can’t wait to plunge in and start that mysterious process of alchemy which brings my plot and characters to life. But then uncertainty sets in. All my insecurities come flooding through. This is the worst idea ever. I didn’t plan it enough. My characters suck. My writing sucks. I suck.

…You get the idea.

It used to paralyse me. I couldn’t keep going with anything. I’d rip every story up and start over, again and again, until I had to give up on them because I’d completely lost sight of what I was trying to write about in the first place.

Something had to change.

One day, I happened upon a quote from Jacqueline Wilson, where she said that with each book she writes, about halfway in, she starts to doubt whether it’s ever going to work, and that she ‘never write[s] with great confidence.”

Yes, you read that right – Jacqueline Wilson. Former children’s laureate and bestselling, multi-award-winning author of around 90 books. Books which fill almost half a shelf in the library where I used to work – when they’re there, that is, which isn’t often because they get borrowed so often (she’s one of the most borrowed authors in the UK).

I was astonished, because back then, if you’d asked me who I thought was least likely to have confidence crises in the middle of writing something, I’d have said Jacqueline Wilson.

It made me think. Apparently, other writers suffer from First Draft Doubt too. Writers who are published, and published many times. So how do they deal with it? How do they get their books finished? Is there a top secret formula which, when applied to wavering plotlines or flagging characters, will bring them round as effectively as a sharp smack in the face (or smelling salts, if violence isn't your thing)?

Of course not.

Because there is no secret.

It’s normal to doubt your first draft. You should doubt your first draft, because that’s what drives you to make it better. And you shouldn’t let that get in the way of you writing it.

That’s not to say if it’s not working that you shouldn’t find out why. These days, I do this by writing letters to myself, starting them “What needs to happen next?” Then I keep writing, trying to switching off my conscious, logical brain and allowing my characters and plot to lead me from my unconscious brain, where the answers have usually been brewing all along.

I also turn to my favourite book about writing and storytelling - STORY: Substance, Structure, Style and the Principles of Screenwriting by Robert McKee. Although it’s not an easy read – I had to take notes the first two times I read it! – I’ve learnt so much from this book. If I’m having a serious plot problem, a combination of dipping into this book and a What Happens Next letter get it back on track.

The most important thing I’ve learnt, though, is that the first draft doesn’t need to be perfect. It can’t be perfect. It’s a sketch, a roughing-out, a shuffling-together of ideas, and if you try to make it perfect, it won’t get done. Instead, ignore those doubts, accept and note your story’s flaws, and get the damn thing down anyway. Because then you’ve got something to work with. Something to make better. Material for a second draft. And that’s where the real fun begins.

What about you? Is there a particular point in your writing where you always lose confidence? And how do you deal with it when you get there?


Emma Pass lives in the north east Midlands. Her YA novels ACID and The Fearless are published by Corgi Children’s Books/Penguin Random House. You can find more details about her writing and workshops on her website at www.emmapassauthor.wordpress.com.

2 comments:

Susan Price said...

Very good advice, Emma. I'm too old a hand to be much thrown by The Doubts. I know they're coming. Whenever I'm unsure I do something similar to your letter writing. I take each character and jot down all the possible things they might do. 'If X does this, then Y might do that. But if X does that, then Y could...' I go on and on until something clicks and I know that's the way to go.

Sue Purkiss said...

Useful advice, Emma!