Wednesday 25 July 2012

Inspiration Around Every Corner - Lynne Garner

For the last three weeks and for the next five I'm working for a local language school. I'm helping to run a residence with just over 100 student rooms, something I've never done before. These rooms are home to students from 12 different countries whilst they study English as a second language. The building is just weeks old and has had a large number of teething problems including showers running cold, locks breaking whilst the students are still in their rooms, alarms going off for rooms that don't exist etc. etc. Although it can be long hours and some of the issues make you want to hit your head against a brick wall it has fuelled my imagination. I have so many new ideas I just don't know where to start.

The ideas started on the first day as I packed my bag (I'm having to stay on site at least three nights a week). This first idea was for a picture book story. A second picture book idea popped into my head whilst I took the picture on the right of two members of staff saying good bye to another. I also have an idea for a non-fiction title which was prompted by a chat with one of the graduates I'm working with. The exciting this is it will mean I'll be writing with a co-writer for the first time.

With each passing day more ridiculous things happen and I'm finding myself scribbling something down every day. I'm not even half way through the contact but already feel I have enough material for a mad-cap sit-com. I've never written one before but I now really have the urge to give it a go.

So next time you're stuck for an idea go and give something new a go. Work outside your comfort zone. Meet new people. You never know it may fuel your imagination as mine has been. Now I'm off to sort another problem and hopefully write a few more notes.

Lynne Garner
To visit my blog click here
Unashamed plug for my latest children's writing course starting 4th August 2012



2 comments:

Penny Dolan said...

Excellent suggestion, especially as you seem to be having such a hectic, busy and mostly happy time. The students sound a wonderful group to be with. Thanks for this glimpse into a very busy but fulfilling time and greetings to all the students.

Dianne Hofmeyr said...

Sounds like great fun and lovely to have those ideas flowing! Enjoy the energy.