Tuesday 31 August 2010

Chains of inspiration by Lynda Waterhouse

I received a CD in the post the other day and I get a mention in the credits. The CD is called Unravelling and it’s by Suntrap. Track six is the song ‘Just like a bird ‘and it is is NOT, to paraphrase Carly Simon, about me. It was written by Sara Byers and is dedicated to her sister Susan. But I am delighted to be a part of the chain of inspiration.
This occurred when my goddaughter Molly Jamieson then aged 11 made a speech at my wedding which began,
‘To me Lynda is like a nightingale, although brown and normal on the outside, she has a strong and beautiful song.’
This one off personal and touching tribute inspired Sara to come up with the lyric,
‘Just like a bird who is brown on the outside
She sings the most beautiful song.’
She had taken something personal and made it universal.
In turn Sara has been a source of inspiration to me. She made a beautiful shell and water sculpture which triggered an idea for a setting for the Sandringham dancing Academy in my Sand Dancers stories published by Piccadilly Press. Tracing the link back one step further it turns out that Sara had been inspired to create the sculpture by some shells in New Zealand.
I feel stronger when I am in a chain of inspiration, surrounded by people who are having the courage to express their feelings through their words, art, dance or music. This in turn sparks my creativity and so the chain continues.
That is why groups such as the SAS and my writing group are so important to me. They provide the spark.
It is also why I passionately believe that children should be given creative experiences and opportunities (without learning objectives and measurable outcomes) to work with artists, musicians, dancers, writers in schools.
Now I’m off to listen to my song! I hope you allow this brown bird her peacock moment.

4 comments:

Joan Lennon said...

Chains of inspiration - what a lovely image!

Andrew Strong said...

As Richard Dawkins is fond of pointing out, the less impressive the plumage, the more beautiful the song.

Keren David said...

What a beautiful post!

Keren David said...

What a beautiful post!