Friday, 25 September 2026

The Company of Writers

Just over a year ago, a member of the Society of Authors who lives in Amsterdam, thought it might be a good idea to bring other Netherlands-residing members together. More than 30 people turned up, and not all of them from Amsterdam, but from all over the country. It was a lovely, convivial encounter and one that has led to more. 

We now meet once a month or so. The numbers have dropped off since that initial get-together and are now confined – mainly – to people who live in, or near, Amsterdam. (There’s talk of holding a meeting in another city, in a bid to relieve the capital bias.) At most, 10 or so people attend. And they’re not all writers of fiction. We have translators, educational writers, journalists, writers of guide books, historians. A good, wide mix. (I’m the only writer of fiction for children.)

There’s no fixed setting. Last week, we met in an old, converted warehouse next to the water. It's now shared work spaces.

And they've left the gloriously worn-down staircases.

Nor is there a fixed agenda. Recently, Ben Coates was invited to come along to talk to us. About his work, his research, his juggling both with family life. (He’s the author of – among others – How the Dutch are Different, which is a terrific read even if you don’t know a thing about the country.) A month from now, we’ll be talking about fantasy fiction. At other times, we just meet to chat and swap stories.


What I enjoy most about the group is the chance to talk to people who ‘get it’.* Who understand about cranky publishers, being ghosted, struggling with the taxman. Who don’t need to be told about how hard it can be confronting that empty page. We all write, and we know what it’s like, and that shared experience is something I find both enjoyable and encouraging. I leave every meeting feeling better. More optimistic. It’s a great feeling.


*The SASSIES get it too. I don’t deny that. But you’re almost all in the UK and as much as I enjoy following you on Facebook and here on the blog, I do miss the chance to just talk. In person.



No comments: