Sunday, 9 August 2026

WHY SCARY STORIES ARE GOOD FOR KIDS by Sharon Tregenza

As I kid I loved to read them as an adult I love to write them - scary stories. Give me ghosts and witches, throw in the odd zombie or vampire and a haunted house - the thrill is always there.

I think they build resilience in children. Young readers watch as people their age overcome fear and survive danger in the best possible way. Most kid's horror will also add a strong dose of humour to release tension. The laugh after the scare shows kids that "that was frightening - but I'm all right" giving them a sense of achievement.  

Three good scary books that I think accomplish all this and more are...

"Coraline" by Neil Gaimen.


A girl confronts a sinister family and learns to trust her own resourcefulness.


Roald Dahl's "The Witches".



This book turns a frightening threat into an adventure filled with dark comedy and courage.

And, Goosebumps "Welcome to Dead House" by R.L.Stine


Ordinary children conquer their fears in a series of eerie events.

The best scary books respect their young readers. They give the fear shape and bounderies and usually, a victorious ending. Perhaps, by facing monsters and ghouls on the page children will be better prepared to face real concerns and worries. 








No comments: