Tuesday 27 August 2024

Book Launch Shenanigans, by Claire Fayers

 August has been a busy month with the launch of my Welsh Giants, Ghosts and Goblins, and a very tight writing deadline for my next book. 

One of the ghost stories in the book is set in Bookish in Crickhowell (a fabulous independent bookshop that is apparently haunted by a ghost called Muriel) so it was the obvious place for the launch party.

Preparations started well in advance. My friend made me a charm bookmark to celebrate my previous book and I liked it so much I commissioned her to make a batch of themed bookmarks to give away on the night.


I'd never had a launch party where the shop sold tickets before so I was worried nobody would come, but I shouldn't have worried. A week before the event, we were sold out. 

Inspired by the drama workshop at Folly Farm last year, I turned part of a story into a script and roped in some friends for a bit of amateur dramatics. my husband was on hand to capture the result on film.


It's nice to do something interactive at an events, and I've always loved making story postcards - the book cover on one side, a writing prompt on the other. This time, Firefly Press went one step better with a colour-in book cover. 


My DIY ghost story on the back  has produced a surprising variety of stories. I've used it in every event so far, for adults and children.


And of course, there had to be cake.


All in all, it's been a fantastic launch month. Now back to writing!


2 comments:

Penny Dolan said...

Congratulations, Claire! Your ghostly book launch sounds so much fun!

Anonymous said...

Sounds amazing! (This is Sue Purkiss, btw - my phone wants me to be anonymous, but I’m subverting it!)