Wednesday 3 January 2024

THE ICE CHILDREN - a review by sharon Tregenza

 


I thought I'd love this book by M G Leonard - and I did.

Leonard takes Hans Christian Anderson's "The Snow Queen" adds an environmental slant and a mystery to solve and sets it all in a modern winter wonderland. Perfect. 

Bianca's brother Finn, is alive but frozen. The adults are at a loss what to do but Bianca is sure that it's something to do with the strange silver book that Finn was so secretive about. When another child is also frozen Bianca knows its up to her to solve the mystery of the ice children. 

The global warming message here is delicately interwoven with the fairy-tale quality of the story and emerges slowly so never feels clunky. It's a delightful book. A magical mysterious book. And it's enhanced by the wonderful illustrations by Penny Neville-Lee.




 
 A great read for 8-12 and beyond. Highly recommended.
  • Publisher ‏ : ‎ Macmillan Children's Books; Main Market edition (2 Nov. 2023)
  • ISBN-10 ‏ : ‎ 1035014211
  • ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 978-1035014217

Email: sharontregenza@gmail.com






4 comments:

Sue Purkiss said...

I very much like M G Leonard's books. I bought this one for one of my grandsons - but I wish I'd had time to read it first!

Penny Dolan said...

This review & description makes THE ICE CHILDREN sound an ideal book for younger readers - adventure and fantasy with a thoughtfuk central heart. I'll look out for it at my local library.
Thanks, Sharon.

Sharon Tregenza said...

Maybe they'll lend it to you, Sue. :)

Sharon Tregenza said...

It had everything I love in a children's book, Penny. Fantasy, mystery and the influence of Han's Christian Anderson's "The Snow Queen" a story I was obsessed with as a child. :)