Thursday 14 September 2023

Books you'd forgotten about by Lynne Benton

 Last month, when the weather in England was fairly cool and damp (remember that?) I set a quiz of children’s book titles.  And I promised you the answers in this month’s blog.  So, for anyone who is still stuck on one or two, here are the answers:

1 A T the L G  by L C    (Alice) Through the Looking Glass  by Lewis Carroll  (Sorry, I forgot "Alice" wasn't part of the title till I checked the book cover!)

2 T T of J P  by B P  The Tale of Jemima Puddle-duck  by Beatrix Potter

3 F G to K I  by E B   Five Go to Kirrin Island  by Enid Blyton

4 T S G  by F H B  The Secret Garden  by Frances Hodgson Burnett

5 H  by J S   Heidi  by Johanna Spyri

6 F C and I by E N   Five Children and It  by E Nesbit

7  T W in T W by K G  The Wind in the Willows  by Kenneth Grahame

8  B S by N S  Ballet Shoes  by Noel Streatfeild

9  H by L S   Holes  by Louis Sachar

10 J E by  C B  Jane Eyre  by Charlotte Brontë

11 T H at P C  by A A M  The House at Pooh Corner  by A A Milne

12 T T W C to T by J K  The Tiger Who Came to Tea  by Judith Kerr

13  A of G G by L M M  Anne of Green Gables  by L M Montgomery

14  M  by F C B  Millions  by Frank Cottrell Boyce

15  J W by R C  Just William  by Richman Crompton

16  C of T N F by C M  Children of the New Forest  by Captain Marryat

17  L W by L M A  Little Women  by Louisa May Alcott

18  W K D  by S C  What Katy Did  by Susan Coolidge

19  H P and T P S  by J K R  Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone  by J K Rowling

20  T U D  by H C A  The Ugly Duckling  by Hans Christian Andersen

21   T M G  by P P  Tom’s Midnight Garden  by Philippa Pearce

22 T L T T and T W  by C S L   The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe  by C S Lewis

23 G M T  by M M  Goodnight Mr Tom  by Michelle Magorian

24  T V H C  by E C  The Very Hungry Caterpillar  by Eric Carle

25  J S S  by R K  Just So Stories  by Rudyard Kipling


So how did you all do?  Did you remember some books you’d long since forgotten about?  Did you dive back to your bookshelves and find an old copy of a childhood favourite?  Did you immediately sit down and start reading it all over again?

I’ve also been discovering books I’d forgotten about – only not on my bookshelf, but on my Kindle!  When I first had my Kindle I carefully noted down in a notebook every ebook I downloaded – because, as everyone who has one knows, all your downloaded books appear as a list in “Your Library”, but the more you add, the longer your list becomes.  And after a while you have to really search for an ebook you know you’ve got somewhere…  except that only works when you know exactly what you're looking for!  

Which of course is where my notebook comes in.  But because I’ve become rather remiss of late in writing down every single book as I added it, and because I've now got a lot of books on my Kindle, I couldn’t remember what I’d already got.  So eventually last weekend I started on the mammoth task of making a new list of every book in my “Library” – this time in a new notebook with margins, in which to put a tick when I’ve read and deleted them. 

Readers, it took a very long time, and used up two new gel pens, but at last I finished it.  And surprise – I discovered several books and favourite authors that had completely slipped my mind of late, and am now really looking forward to reading! 

And I realised how well this discovery fitted in with the answers to last month’s quiz: notably, how good it is to be reminded of books you’d forgotten about!



website: lynnebenton.com

3 comments:

Penny Dolan said...

What a great quiz, Lynne. Really tested the old grey literary cells! Thank you for putting so much energy into both posts.

Lynne Benton said...

Thanks, Penny - glad you enjoyed it!

Abbeybufo said...

Thanks again Lynne. We really enjoyed it too.