Saturday 3 July 2021

ERIC CARLE'S CATERPILLAR. by Sharon Tregenza

 



When Eric Carle died in May, aged 91, I was reminded of the timelessness of his wonderful book for young children - 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar'.

I wondered why it has been adored by generations of children for over 50 years. Why it has sold more than 55 million copies since it was first published in 1969 and been translated into more than 70 languages.

I decided there were plenty of reasons:



We all know the simple story - a little caterpillar hatches on a leaf and sets off looking for food to eat. 

First there's the colours of the book - they burst from the pages in glorious purples, yellows, reds, blues and greens. Next there's its interactivity - little children love turning the pages and poking their finger through the holes the caterpillar has left. Thirdly there are the subtle lessons - they learn colours, they learn counting, they learn fruits and they even learn about junk food. There's a little biology too when the caterpillar goes into the cocoon and comes out as a butterfly.

And, about that butterfly - it's a two page, full on, stunner! 





Yes, I think Eric Carle has given us more than enough reasons to celebrate his adorable book "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" for many more generations to come.







6 comments:

Lynne Benton said...

Quite agree, Sharon - it's a wonderful book!

Penny Dolan said...

What a bright & cheering post to read on a grey morning. The Hungry Caterpillar is a book you can't open wthout wanting to smile.

Sharon Tregenza said...

Hi Lynn, it's a little gem isn't it. I love it.

Sharon Tregenza said...

Hi Penny, I agree. The most cheerful of books and so colourful. No wonder children adore it. :)

Brenda Daniels said...

My daughter arranged a 'Hungry Caterpillar' party for her daughter's first birthday party. The decor was a colourful delight. I had the honour of reading the story aloud to the little children at the party and they sat enraptured, even at that young age.

Alandre said...

I always turn to Vampire any time I want to. I become a Vampire because of how people treat me, this world is a wicked world and not fair to any body. at the snack of my finger things are made happened. am now a Powerful Man and no one step on me without an apology goes free. i turn to Human being also at any time i want to. and am one of the most dreaded Man in my Town. i become a Vampire through the help of my friend who introduce me into a Vampire Kingdom by given me their email. if you want to become a Powerful Vampire kindly contact the Vampire Kingdom on their Email: Vampirelord7878@gmail.com