Friday 13 November 2020

Phew and Gulp by Sheena Wilkinson

 I have just this minute typed the last word of my novel.

Phew.




That's not the last word of the book; that's how I feel after months of writing and as many months of editing. Of course it's still not really the end. Just the end of the beginning. This is draft 3, and I think this is the version I'm prepared to let my agent see. I'll reread it in a day or two to make sure it makes sense, and then press send. Which will be another Phew. A very brief one until the anxiety sets in (about half a minute later),  and then Phew gives way to Gulp. Will she like it? Can she sell it? Is it terrible?




Alternating Phew and Gulp seems to be what we're all doing a lot right now.  Like many people I felt a big Phew at the results of the American election, and then at the positive news about a Covid-19 Vaccine. But the Gulps are never far behind, are they? I think writers get a lot of practice at living with a high degree of anxiety, at dealing with ups and downs. And in 2020 the Gulps are myriad and the Phews are, well, few. 

That's really all I have to say this month. So I'm sharing some pictures of a beautiful Northern Irish autumn, and a small happy dog. I hope they give readers a little Phew too. 




6 comments:

Nick Garlick said...

I think Phew and Gulp describe the current world perfectly. Loved the picture of the tree and the river.

Sue Purkiss said...

Hurrah and well done!

WALNUT3 said...

King James Bible Version (KJV)

Isaiah 36:6

“Lo, thou trustest in the staff of this broken reed, on Egypt; whereon if a man lean, it will go into his hand, and pierce it: so is Pharaoh king of Egypt to all that trust in him.”

Thinking of Cleopatra ...

Penny Dolan said...

What a joy and a relief for you. Well done, Sheena!

Anne Booth said...

Good luck and well done!

Ann Turnbull said...

Well done, Sheena, and congratulations!