Monday 30 March 2020

Life is Stranger than Fiction Right Now by Tamsin Cooke

I don’t know about you, but I am finding it hard to write. Maybe it’s because I’m trying to write a funny story for 7-9 year olds, and I’m not feeling that funny right now. 


Perhaps I should try writing a dystopian horror instead.  Except that wouldn’t be fiction! 

We are living through surreal dangerous times. So much so, my work in progress feels like an utter fantasy when it’s actually realism. 
Or it was. 
When I came up with the idea two months ago, I thought my main protagonists were fun, lively, a little bit mischievous, living in a ‘normal’ town. But now I realise they are full on rebels, as are their parents, living in some alternative reality.


For example: 
One of my characters gives the other one a hug. Not only are they standing so close to each other, they are actually touching! What about the two metre rule?  What are they thinking? Luckily neither of them has a cough!
Now wait for it. They go to a playpark and join other children. Can you believe what you are reading??? There are now six of them. Six children playing in the sunshine. How dare they? Surely the police will turn up at any second, disperse them and give them a much-needed lecture about being so reckless. 
My characters go to school. They eat crisps from the same packet. Plus their parents are at work and they're not key workers. Their parents are obviously selfish anarchists.
A month ago, my characters’ actions were just normal, mundane. But as I write them now, I pause. It feels strange - almost wrong. All the little things that we took for granted have been stripped away from us. And quite rightly so. We need to keep everyone as safe as possible. But it means the small activities such as going to the park or giving a friend a hug are fantasies. I know that in the near(ish) future, we will return to our normal ways. But I hope we’ll remember to appreciate the smaller things in life.

And so, I’ll continue to write my funny story, knowing that what's happening in my characters' lives is actually the norm. It’s only now that life is stranger than fiction.

Tamsin Cooke
Author of The Scarlet Files Series and Stunt Double Series
Website: tamsincooke.co.uk
Twitter: @TamsinCooke1 




5 comments:

Sue Purkiss said...

It'll be interesting to see how long it takes us to return to 'normal'. I was thinking yesterday - I think I'll be more than happy to go to cafes and coffee bars again - but I'm not sure how I'll feel about going to the cinema or the theatre again. (Mind you, come to think of it, I don't go where there are crowds much anyway!)

Penny Dolan said...

So true, Tamsin.
How can one dream up ordinary things to write about when they aren't ordinary any more - and a year is a long time in a child's life?

But your hopeful, everyday stories will be there for them as life gets back to normal.

Tamsin Cooke said...

Hi Sue, it's amazing how quickly we get used to something - how social distancing has become the norm. I'm sure it will take me a long time before I can hear a cough again and not react!
Tams X

Tamsin Cooke said...

Hi Penny, I agree - a year is such a long time for a child. I remember how long it used to take for Christmas to come around! I can't wait until ordinary becomes ordinary again.
Tams X

Moira Butterfield said...

Thank you, Penny. I'm going to do the timer. i'm being distracted constantly by the world being different.